This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Introductins and Is this the correct way to program for beginner ?

Started by Martyn, May 19, 2015 · 9 Replies · 391 Views

Martyn

Few things about myself - 32 years old, been doing what i considered correct strength training for over 10 years...and now my body is broken. My mobility is very bad and due to this it puts a brake on my strength output. I feel older than i should feel. My joints hurt etc. I look like i am in good shape...but i am not! Years of kettlebell training and barbell work has been slowly braking me down. After much thinking and research i have decided to devote many hrs and many years to gymnasitc bodies training and have slow relaxed goals which are over years as coach sommer has said. I will be keeping deadlifts for lower body work and kettlebel swings and snatches for cardio but everything else will be gymnastic work.

I have the foundation series and stretch series

My questions are - would it be ok to do all 3 stretch series once a week each ? I am very tight.

Sunday - front split

Tuesday - side split

Thursday - thoradic strethcing

The strength elements in the foundation series 1 - I would like to work on all the strength exercises ...can i do this or should I choose only a couple ?

Alessandro Mainente

I strongly recommend all the progression. the foundamental exercises are a complementary exercises that work well if trained in parallel.

Martyn

Alessandro, thanks for the reply

Would this work well as a program

Monday - Single leg squat work, front lever work, rope climb & side lever, deadlifts 3x3 - front split stretch routine

Tuesday - straddle planche, manna, hollow back press

Wed - dynamic mobility work- side stretch routine

Thursday - same as monday - except no stretching

Friday - same as tuesday - add thoradic stretching in

Saturday - Off

Sunday - Off

This means i am getting all 3 stretches done weekly after foundations work or warm up.

The volume on mondsy seems high but i plan to keep deadlifts at 3x3 at 80% until the 80% feels like 60%.

Joshua Slocum

That looks like a pretty good plan. Try it out and see how it goes!

May I ask why you have the elements grouped as they are?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Martyn, you could do that. But the GB website has like eight different options that you can plug and play for how to organize the workouts. I'm just mentioning that because it saves time and energy trying to figure out the best way to organize routines (which used to be SUCH a pain in my ass to do). So why not consider that. The stretch series most certainly should be done once a week, and are recommended to be done in such a way.

You have the setup of basically the 4-Day Foundation workout template. If I were you, I would simply follow what GB does, add in your deadlift work on your lower body (or 'b') workouts and then add in the stretch series as you already have. The only reason I say this is because, then all you really would have to do is adjust the progression levels to your ability and then click 'advance one week' or 'go back to previous week' and then all of your planning is taken care of. Maybe you want to go to the extra effort, but I say why bother?

Martyn

Thanks for replies.

 

Daniel - after more thought on this i agree with you. I will do it as it is set out and add deadlifts in on single leg squat day.

 

The hardest part I am finding is that i need to focus on stretching and mobility in the correct progressions...and i need to let go of my current strength to become stronger than ever. i need to let myself become weaker for a little while so i can become stronger than ever before.

 

My goals have changed from Testostorone pumping training where i would bend nails, lift atlas stones etc to a calm and relaxed mentallity where i prefer to do gymnastic work in a peaceful enviroment.

 

Pleased to have this Forum to come and ask questions also.

Coach Sommer

No need to become weaker.  Simply add in a maintainence set or two once a week where appropriate.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ravn

Martyn, judging from your avatar, are you by any chance an arborist/tree climber?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Just work with it. Apply the program setup as it is on the website for a month or so. Include your deadlifts once in a while (on an off day, or on a leg workout) and then do your stretch routines on Wednesday and after some of the foundation workouts and see how it feels.

Martyn

Thank you for the replies.

Yes i am an arborist. 15years of being a tree climber has damaged my wrists greatly.

Thanks for advice coach sommer...I am just going to stick to your program though..apart from adding 3x3 deadlifts in. I feel better already believe it ir not. I am happy to just let go of my strength decrease for a while so i can become very flexible. Strength doesnt matter anyways if you can't express it from dynamic movement.