This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wall Runs as conditioning

Started by drewcl, May 18, 2015 · 4 Replies · 637 Views

drewcl

Hi,

 

I have started doing some circuits post foundation with various exercises, I have a heart rate monitor and aim to get my heart rate up to mid 170s on each round. 

 

I added in wall runs and both times I have included them my heart rate went through the roof to over 200 bpm!

 

Anyone else found this? It must be because I'm inverted so the heart has to work harder, but I wonder if that translates to calories burned etc...?

Alessandro Mainente

what is your level on handstand 1?

drewcl

I am doing the wall runs in Handstand 1 at the moment and have reached mastery, but am holding back until my mobility catch up

Teachanolddognewtricks?
drewcl said:

Hi,

 

I have started doing some circuits post foundation with various exercises, I have a heart rate monitor and aim to get my heart rate up to mid 170s on each round. 

 

I added in wall runs and both times I have included them my heart rate went through the roof to over 200 bpm!

 

Anyone else found this? It must be because I'm inverted so the heart has to work harder, but I wonder if that translates to calories burned etc...?

 

Guess it depends on how you define conditioning. It's going to condition the muscles involved for sure. And it's going to make the heart stronger.

 

I get the feeling you are asking about cardiovascular conditioning - whether it's like running for example?  One question is, are you breathing hard to keep it up or are you more panting when it's over to catch your breath? The former would be more of an aerobic training run and the latter an aneroboic sprint. Which kind of feeling are you getting from it?   The two both have CV benefits and are valuable.

 

It's been determined that doing short bursts of activity over a longer period of time does condition aerobically, such as has been shown with  HIT and Tabata methods..So for example if you are doing sets of 30 seconds with rest breaks for 10 minutes or longer I'm sure you'll be engaging both systems as well.

 

Although, it's difficult to burn a lot of calories without using the prime mover muscles over an extended time. Of course I  know a lot of effort can be is involved in maintaining handstand position - especially starting out - though I'm not really sure this has been calculated. it's an interesting question.

Jon Douglas

Any reference on how to calculate energy usage from wall runs? I'd be a little curious. Long sets aren't something I can do every day but I've found it to work best as a warmup for me personally-- moving onto press/hs work everything is warm, activated, and ready for training. Depends what you're going for I guess; I can't say it gets me out of breath even when going for a long set, but I do pant some after.

Interesting.