This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE5 : building up to 20kg ?

Started by Krel, May 18, 2015 · 9 Replies · 446 Views

Krel

Hi :)

 

I'm currently working on Prone Floor Handstand Flexion with 3kg Weighted Bar. Benefits are absolutely incredible in terms of strength and mobility.

 

I just realized that I will probably need 12 more months to master HS>PE5>iM (Pronated Shoulder Dislocate) to have the required ROM, endurance and more importantly to do the exercise smoothly without any popping or cracking (even if there is no pain).

 

During these 12 months, I will have to continue to work on HS/PE5. What would you recommend/What is your personal preference between :

- building up to 20kg with the ROM in the video --> it would develop an amazing upper trapezius strength

- keeping 3kg and improving the ROM beyond mastery --> it would help for ABH, ABR, TBs etc.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Increase both.

Joshua Slocum

Develop ROM shown in the video, then add some weight, and build back up to full ROM. Greater ROM than shown in the video isn't necessarily super helpful.

Once you've finished PE5, keep working on the weight for PE5>iM, until your at 40kg (same goes for PE6>iM). These will stay in your warmup essentially forever.

Krel

Thanks guys.

You mean 40 lbs Joshua ? 40kg seems to be... a lot :lol:

Joshua Slocum
Krel said:

Thanks guys.

You mean 40 lbs Joshua ? 40kg seems to be... a lot :lol:

Yes, 20kg/45lbs. 

Vytautas Pilkauskas
Joshua Slocum said:

Develop ROM shown in the video, then add some weight, and build back up to full ROM. Greater ROM than shown in the video isn't necessarily super helpful.

Once you've finished PE5, keep working on the weight for PE5>iM, until your at 40kg (same goes for PE6>iM). These will stay in your warmup essentially forever.

Thanks, Joshua

Talking about PE5>iM should we add weight when we are able to do it at 1,5 shoulder width or narrower?

Jon Douglas
Krel said:

Thanks guys.

You mean 40 lbs Joshua ? 40kg seems to be... a lot :lol:

Hey, if you can roll with 40kg then knock yourself out :)

Nick Roy

I'm curious if it would be beneficial for a heavier athlete of 180-220 pounds to build up to heavier weight on dislocates. Maybe to 50-55 pounds

Keilani Gutierrez
Nick Roy said:

I'm curious if it would be beneficial for a heavier athlete of 180-220 pounds to build up to heavier weight on dislocates. Maybe to 50-55 pounds

20kg is almost 30% of my BW. im 72kg. so for someone who's 180lb that would be 24kg(53.57lbs) and 220lb would be 27kg(59.52lb)

 

....yep, seems about fair. ^_^

Jon Douglas
Nick Roy said:

I'm curious if it would be beneficial for a heavier athlete of 180-220 pounds to build up to heavier weight on dislocates. Maybe to 50-55 pounds

I think this would be beneficial, however don't think it outweighs the risk for most. Controlling the weight at arms length is an ask, and the consequences of dropping it from the back are not inconsiderable.