This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

front splits and shin splints

Started by brown.3794, May 15, 2015 · 6 Replies · 212 Views

brown.3794

So I've been doing the course for almost a month and making great progress. About 2 weeks ago I started jump rope for cardio. I'm pretty bad at jump rope so I only jump for 2 -3 minutes a day in very short rounds since I trip a lot. Anyway this week I've stared to get shin splints.

I started foam rolling before hand and using compression straps after manages the pain pretty well. I was wondering if just working the stretch series and the heel raises in it once a week will be enough to eventually strengthen my legs so I don't get shin splints any more or should I add additional prehab work?

Jason Dupree

Definitely let them heal first. 2-3 minutes a day is not a long time... Maybe you are using bad form? Do you run as well? After healing, I would start adding the calf raises multiple times a week. Complement that with resting in a bottom position squat to strengthen the muscles on the front of the shin. Then start running, using a forefoot strike of course. Then move on to jumping rope again. Only move on when you are sure you have adapted and have no symptoms. Hope you get better soon

brown.3794

Yes it's quite confusing. My left leg is usually fine or hurts slightly. My right leg is definitely worse. Though after I use compression straps and lacrosse balls I'm usually fine the next day with no symptoms. It might form because I'm trying to learn alternate leg skipping so I can eventually work on sprinting in place. I also don't run because I figured jump rope would be lower impact and I have bad allergies so running is so bit annoying when you suddenly break out in a sneezing fit. However I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks for the input.

Jason Dupree

Running is actually lower impact, because When jumping you have to completely stop and restart, transferring force 180 degrees. Plus the knee moves forward, putting more strain on the shin region.

Coach Sommer

- Your going from no jump rope to jumping rope everyday is the issue.  And then continuing this schedule after over training symptoms became apparent.  

 

- Stop jumping rope for 1-2 weeks.  

 

- During this period treat the shin splits by performing 2-3 sets of approx 100 rep toe raises; either daily or every other day.  To perform toe raises stand on the edge of a step with your weight on your heels and the rest of your foot hanging off the front of the step.  Now simply lift your foot up and down for the required reps.  Be forewarned, high reps of these burn like crazy.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mark Collins
Coach Sommer said:

- Your going from no jump rope to jumping rope everyday is the issue.  And then continuing this schedule after over training symptoms became apparent.  

 

- Stop jumping rope for 1-2 weeks.  

 

- During this period treat the shin splits by performing 2-3 sets of approx 100 rep toe raises; either daily or every other day.  To perform toe raises stand on the edge of a step with your weight on your heels and the rest of your foot hanging off the front of the step.  Now simply lift your foot up and down for the required reps.  Be forewarned, high reps of these burn like crazy.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I am borrowing this for my patients. Thanks Coach :).

brown.3794
Coach Sommer said:

- Your going from no jump rope to jumping rope everyday is the issue.  And then continuing this schedule after over training symptoms became apparent.  

 

- Stop jumping rope for 1-2 weeks.  

 

- During this period treat the shin splits by performing 2-3 sets of approx 100 rep toe raises; either daily or every other day.  To perform toe raises stand on the edge of a step with your weight on your heels and the rest of your foot hanging off the front of the step.  Now simply lift your foot up and down for the required reps.  Be forewarned, high reps of these burn like crazy.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks Coach. Can't even jump rope for a little bit without prehab.... Getting old sucks