This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

The width of the pancake/straddle

Started by Awesssss, May 13, 2015 · 5 Replies · 283 Views

Awesssss

I am working on my Pancake flexibility for future press to handstand work. My pike is quite good as I can lay my face on my shins.

 

My question is, should I stretch my Pancake/straddle (difference between the two?) width as wide as I would do a straddle press handstand?

 

 

Coach Sommer

No, do not perform your pancake as wide as possible.  Pancake should be performed with your legs only as wide apart as you can still wrap your hands around your feet.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Awesssss
Coach Sommer said:

No, do not perform your pancake as wide as possible.  Pancake should be performed with your legs only as wide apart as you can still wrap your hands around your feet.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Will the width of my pancake not change as I get more flexible?

Cole Dano

No, because it's a defined width already. 

 

If we were talking about pike it would be obvious, because the feet are together in a defined position.

Awesssss

But I'm thinking that the lower I can get my upperbody (chest) to the ground the wider I can spread my arms (think like an iron cross), then I have to spread my legs wider because it will be more withing my reach?

Coach Sommer
Hollow Man said:

But I'm thinking that the lower I can get my upperbody (chest) to the ground the wider I can spread my arms (think like an iron cross), then I have to spread my legs wider because it will be more withing my reach?

 

Should not be a significant difference between the two.  The width of the legs/arms is measured from the bottom of the pancake with the chest on the floor.

 

Yours in fitness,

Coach Sommer