This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular activation- depression + protraction - form check

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, May 13, 2015 · 7 Replies · 257 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

hi guys!

Since I've been struggling on planche lean sPL/PE5 for months and I'm still working on the proper posture to keep during static hold, I would like to clarify first of all if I set my scapula in the correct way.

 

In the following video I simply test my scapular activation:

It was suggested me to firstly retract, then depress, finally protract scapula. And this is what I try to do in this video.

Is scapular activation done correctly? I have some doubts about it.

In my opinion initially I see that once I depress scapula , shoulders move away from my ears, and I think this is good.

After that, while trying to protract my scapula ( I create the curve on my back), my head moves as well, so that the distance between ears and shoulders decreases a bit. Since Alessandro and other guys told me that the distance between ears and shoulders could be considered as a reference to test if shoulders depression is kept properly, I wonder if this is a sign that , during this step, I'm losing a bit of the depression I have activate just before.

 

Moreover, please watch this short video, it is a record about a static hold planck, with a bit of leaning.

 

I see that at 0:02 the curve of my back increases... Is It because I protract more my scapula? it seems pretty strange that I am able to activate better scapula protraction during a static hold . Maybe the change of the back curve is due to a loss of depression. Besides I see that butt lifts up a little bit, I guess it should be kept stationary.

 

I don't know if I was clear... hope so! What do you think about this thinking? And what about my form?

Thanks to all!

Cole Dano

I think Zack mentioned this to you earlier, the second example is over hollowed.

 

It's hard to feel it but when you over hollow the scapula actually elevate. i.e. the upper back rounds, and the scaps slide over the top. Compare where the peak of the upper back's curve is in each video, see how it's more centred with the scaps in the first video?

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Cole Dano said:

I think Zack mentioned this to you earlier, the second example is over hollowed.

 

It's hard to feel it but when you over hollow the scapula actually elevate. i.e. the upper back rounds, and the scaps slide over the top. Compare where the peak of the upper back's curve is in each video, see how it's more centred with the scaps in the first video?

Now I start to get to the point, you are right Cole!! Zach mentioned about the over hollow! but only now I understand what it means in practice. So I should avoid to over hollow in order to get a proper body shape and a correct planche lean, am I right?

HB_Ron

Cole, does "over-hollow" mean spinal flexion?

Cole Dano

@ Mauler Yes, remember this is a leading to a balance position, keeping the shoulder blades depressed effectively moves your center of mass forwards to a more balanced position, while at the same time it's a physically stranger position.

 

@Ron Over hollow is where the upper back starts to round so much it's almost facing forward. We have to think of keeping the hips down, the scaps back and a relatively straight line from ears to toes (with hollowed spine)

 

All PL work will have spinal flexion, that's the nature of being hollow, but it's about how much, and more importantly how it relates to the rest of the body.

 

Lift the hips up over that straight line, roll the upper back to face forward, and let the scaps slide forward and you have the over hollow.

chuchodani

mauler, about one month ago, I made a video about being over-hollow, maybe it would helpful for you.

 

Alessandro Di Sanzo

@Cole , thank you very much! Now I have got the point ! That was really helpful!

@chucodani, thanks to you too! I hope to see soon quality improvements! ^_^

Alessandro Di Sanzo

I tried to check my form starting from a planck position, pretty similar to sPL/PE3. I thought that if I commit some mistakes in this position in terms of protraction , depression, and body line, firstly I have to fix them in this position before leanin forward.

Here's a pic.

post-10847-0-47601700-1431674193_thumb.p

This is the best of both protraction and depression I can create, while at the same time I focus to not lift my butt. Moreover I rotate externally my elbows, so that elbow pits face forward. It was suggested me to do this in order to keep easily my arms fully extended and to create easily dorsal activation.

 

How do you find the form in the pic? Do you see any imperfections?

If I got well the point, as I lean, my body shape should be stay like this. My main problem is that as I start to lean I istantly lose a bit of protraction, and a also a bit of dorsal activation. Maybe I should proceed at very short steps, so leaning only a bit till I can keep body shape and work on static hold (I think about millimeters, sigh :( ), than lean more and so on. Could it be a good idea?

Thank you all!