This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HSPE7 form check

Started by Richard Sassoon, May 11, 2015 · 10 Replies · 191 Views

Richard Sassoon

Hei guys, I'm trying to figure out how to improve my alignment. My hands are about 20 cm (8'') from the wall, and I'm focusing really hard on ppt but my back still arches. Now I'm not sure if I just need more shoulder flexion or more ppt to correct this... probably both haha...

 

Alessandro Mainente

20 cm are too far, look for 12-10 cm. take you chest in, squeeze your butt (holding a PPT) and do not press yourself against the wall, this is not passive shoulders flexion. You need to catch the difference because when you move over wrist handstand the active shoulders flexion is required.

I would like to see you mobility 5-6-7

Garrick Sevilla

Richard, can you do HS/PE5 and PE6 with PPT?  I'm currently on PE6 and will play around with wall handstands afterward.  The alignment in my wall handstand is improving as it becomes easier to do the shoulder flexion pulses with PPT while lying prone on the floor.  I'm using a 10 lbs bar.

Richard Sassoon
Alessandro Mainente said:

20 cm are too far, look for 12-10 cm. take you chest in, squeeze your butt (holding a PPT) and do not press yourself against the wall, this is not passive shoulders flexion. You need to catch the difference because when you move over wrist handstand the active shoulders flexion is required.

I would like to see you mobility 5-6-7

Thanks for the feedback Alessandro! I'm following the focus point on the element that says to be withing 6-12 inches from the wall. I can try getting a bit closer and see what happens. I can also say that I'm not resting against the wall, I'm just brushing it a bit and also trying to get my thighs to touch the wall.

 

Now for the mobility part... I have mastered iM5 with 3kg some time ago.. and while going up in weigth I ended up with some pain on my left shoulder. I went to see an osteopath and found out I have some imbalance/inflammation on that shoulder and lack of strength in the rotator cuff/infraspinatus.. I got some exercises to strengthen it such as cable external and internal rotation, and rows for the scapula stabilization (where I use foundation PE's). Long story short: I stopped the dislocate work for some time and just recently I started again with iM5 with a wide grip, and it has been going good, but I will not go so narrow before I'm confident it will not cause me more problems. Meanwhile I mastered PE5 and PE6 a few times, also with ppt which is not required, and decided to start working on PE7 togethe with iM5 until it catches up.

 

 

Garrick Sevilla said:

Richard, can you do HS/PE5 and PE6 with PPT?  I'm currently on PE6 and will play around with wall handstands afterward.  The alignment in my wall handstand is improving as it becomes easier to do the shoulder flexion pulses with PPT while lying prone on the floor.  I'm using a 10 lbs bar.

Thanks Garrick! I ended up replying already above hehe.. but yes, I did master those 2 with PPT as well, PE5 with 3.5kg and PE6 with 4kg. I did feel a difference, but I'm guessing the main problem now is that I haven't caught up yet with the dislocate work because of my left shoulder...

Awesssss

One quick question: When it says 6 inches, does it mean the top of the fingers should be within 6 inches or the edge of the wrist?

 

Sorry for hijack! :P

Cole Dano

wrist

Alessandro Mainente

Richard, your form for now reflect the time spent of previous IM, I highly suggest to fix your shoulders problem but master the previous IM with the 10% of your bodyweigth. You will be surprised that your sh mobility will improve really a lot when you reach the 10% and also move on over this weight.

Garrick Sevilla

Alex, do you recommend using 10% body weight to master PE5 and 6 as well?

Awesssss
Alessandro Mainente said:

Richard, your form for now reflect the time spent of previous IM, I highly suggest to fix your shoulders problem but master the previous IM with the 10% of your bodyweigth. You will be surprised that your sh mobility will improve really a lot when you reach the 10% and also move on over this weight.

Do you mean staying on the same width and increasing to 10% of bodyweight? Or getting mastery width and then increase weight?

 

Honestly, I'm stuck at the same width. Don't see my self getting better.

 

However, I did notice that my width got shorter when I put on some weights on the stick (Used to do weightless dislocates before GST).

That might tell me that increasing the weight might improve shoulder mobility, decreasing the width?

Richard Sassoon
Alessandro Mainente said:

Richard, your form for now reflect the time spent of previous IM, I highly suggest to fix your shoulders problem but master the previous IM with the 10% of your bodyweigth. You will be surprised that your sh mobility will improve really a lot when you reach the 10% and also move on over this weight.

Thanks Alessandro! I will work on it slowly and steady... it's something that will take a bit of time but I hope it will be sorted out eventually. I guess I can't complaint about my own form until I get there hahaha...

 

 

Hollow Man said:

Do you mean staying on the same width and increasing to 10% of bodyweight? Or getting mastery width and then increase weight?

 

Honestly, I'm stuck at the same width. Don't see my self getting better.

 

However, I did notice that my width got shorter when I put on some weights on the stick (Used to do weightless dislocates before GST).

That might tell me that increasing the weight might improve shoulder mobility, decreasing the width?

Before my shoulder problems, I was also stuck on the same width for some time, using 1.5kg on the bar, but after I started using 3kg things started to improve and at some point I reached mastery. For me at least increasing the weight helped with the mobility since there is more activation to move the weigth around. Now I'm still recovering but I'm using 4kg and it is going well. My mastery width is about 65cm, and I'm back now to 90cm, always paying attention if my shoulders can handle a narrower grip or not.

Awesssss

Thanks for your answer! I will increase to 3-4 kg (from 2,5kg) and see how it goes!