Press HS question

Started by xagunos, May 11, 2015 · 4 Replies · 2,692 Views

xagunos

The Press HS is the most perfect of all GST exercises!

When this movement is achieved would it be better to add reps (http://tinyurl.com/m73otl4; I know Coach enjoys high rep press HS)? OR increase in complexity toward a one-arm press HS? Is the movement worth achieving for a nonprofessional handbalancer as well as what's its carryover to other movements or is too specific? Thoughts?

jules

Beginners dont need fancy programming for Press to Handstand.  To build the reps up, focus on practicing the skill, perfecting the handstand, improving shoulder and pike flexibility. Once you have all those ducks in a row and can multiple repetitions, then you can get fancy. 

Alessandro Mainente
jules said:

Beginners dont need fancy programming for Press to Handstand.  To build the reps up, focus on practicing the skill, perfecting the handstand, improving shoulder and pike flexibility. Once you have all those ducks in a row and can multiple repetitions, then you can get fancy. 

;)

vannybute

Yup. A proper handstand must be mastered prior to phs

katlinchen

Well, I had a pretty good press handstand long before I could hold a handstand. Anyways, as I improved my presses, I also improved my free standing handstand and can now hold one for at least one minute, no matter if I kick up, straddle up or pike up.

To answer your question: I don't know! Once I could perform 2 good straddle presses from sit in a row without any arm bend, my coach at the gym advised I should work on different presses. Not one arm presses, bc they are really hard, but like doing them on a rail sideways and lengthways, trying to pike through, doing them on beam lengthways etc.

Also, what I really enjoy, and I think it helped me quite a lot, is doing a straddle press from sit as slowly as possible. My record is 2 minutes. 50 secs up, a few seconds in handstand and 1 minute lowering down. That is really hard, but so fun.

Just some infos from my side... I would like to hear a more professional opinion, though...