This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Back pain during sPl/PE 5

Started by PhilTaylor, May 10, 2015 · 5 Replies · 192 Views

PhilTaylor

Hi,

 

when I do sPl/PE 5 (Planche Lean) I always get some strange back pain.

 

The pain is located at the thoracic area, somewhere in the middle of it  and right next to my spine, where the vertebra connects to the spine.

It feels like the vertebra would pop out and the pain radiates over the whole vertebra. So both areas where the vertebra connects are hurting.

But the pain do not appears only while training Planche Leans, it also appears when I do a wrong move, but only after I recently trained sPL/PE 5.

 

At the moment I don´t train the sPL-Progression anymore(but every other progression), because all the moves that involves that kind of pressure are hurting. I could train up to sPl/PE 5 without it, but now that I started Planche Leans, it even appears on sPL/PE 1.

 

I already saw a doctor a few times, because of it. He reduced my spine, but the pain did not went away completely and after a few days/weeks it was fully there again.

 

I also stopped training for a long time, while the pause the pain got better.

 

 

Should I work around the sPL-progression? I can do handstands and Push Ups without pain, and other exercises too.

Could you recommend some prehab / rehab exercises?

 

Thanks for every answer!

 

Greetings Phil!

 

Mark Collins
PhilTaylor said:

 

I already saw a doctor a few times, because of it. He reduced my spine, but the pain did not went away completely and after a few days/weeks it was fully there again.

 

 

Greetings Phil!

Can you explain in more detail your diagnosis, treatment and what sort of doctor.

It sounds like you have a stiff thoracic intervertebral, facet or costovertebral joint.

This exercise should cause no thoracic pain when performed correctly. You may also not have enough protraction, which will make the upper back less stable. Can you post a video?

PhilTaylor

I went to a physiotherapist. He did radiographs of my upper and lower back.

 

He said my back was fine, but that the vertebra is "loose" and that I will have to deal with it and that it seems like I got a weak skoliosis, but he said I shouldnt mind it at the moment. I dont have any lower back pain.

 

He gave me a cortisone containing ointment and the pain got better with it. And that I should pause my training till the pains is gone, what I did.

 

I will put up a form-check up tomorrow.

 

Thanks already!

Mark Collins

It is not common to have an unstable thoracic spine. If it is unstable they should have given you specific exercises to stabilise that area.

Can you post a video from the side and above?

Mark Collins

Yes.