Here is a video of me doing elevated cat. Am I doing this correct? I don't feel it in the armpit or chest area as much as deep in the shoulder joint. When I first started it was more of a pinching, in the back of the shoulder, now it almost feels like a stretch in the same area. I need to make sure I'm doing it right, because my handstand PE1 im is not full ROM and I want to do handstands ![]()
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Elevated Cat/shoulder flexion
Started by Jason Dupree, May 10, 2015 · 6 Replies · 244 Views
Put the wrists on the support so that you are not using the wrists extension to false the rom.
*facepalm*
This didn't change any sensations in the shoulder area though.
I would add some seriously H1 mobility especially the beginning elements, the reason is that in the future your thoracic depth will be limited by shoulders flexion.
Thank you for your advice today. I will be hard at work the next few weeks putting it into effect. Hopefully I can get closer to my full ROM.
Hi all! I have the same problem as Jason! That's why I need to clarify a few stuffs elevated cat.
Here's a frame of me while doing this stretch.
As Alessandro wrote, I definitely need to fix the position putting wrists over the bar. But I have some other doubts:
1. should I keep APT or PPT?
2. I see my butt is at the same level of the knees, while Jason's butt is a bit backward. Which is right/ better? does the butt position compared to knees affect the intensity of the stretch?
3. What should I do, once I fell comfortable in the current position, if I want to increase the ROM of the stretch? ( e.g. put my hands upper/lower?; put my knees more and more away from the stall bars?)
Thanks to all!

For this stretch the butt will take care of itself if you think of it as diagramed above.
The main idea is to rotate down from the shoulder joint. (Big arrow)
To support this the bottom ribs will need to pull up, otherwise the whole body will move down with no change in the angle between the yellow and orange lines.
At the same time use the butt to (no arrow there to avoid jokes) pull back so the scapula move up toward the ears (small arrow) while keeping protraction.