This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

1 Month Progress Update

Started by Dylan Robertson, May 10, 2015 · 7 Replies · 298 Views

Dylan Robertson

FL/PE1- Started on Week 5, going on to Week 9. Easy enough, I have that Belly mound though, it's not big, but my abs aren't completety flat either.

sPL/PE1- Started on Week 9, Scap Shrugs required a lot of gritting through muscular fatigue to get through. Cycling back through Block 3 for more strength. Swivel Hips need to be form checked. Will be posting that later...

HBP/PE1- Started on Week 9, easy-peasy. Going on to HBP/PE2. I've heard many differing views on how HBP/PE2 should be done though. Some say I need PPT and a Hollow Body (like HBP/PE3 or like the Top Position of sPL/PE1 or like a Straight Arm Plank) and others say that I shouldn't worry about that. What is the correct way to do these?

RC/PE1- Started on Week 5, this one is tough. I'm probably going to have to cycle through Block 3 twice.

MN/PE1- Started on Week 9, again this one is easy, I'm unable to do a Straddle Up, so I'm cycling through Block 3 again, and stretching for my straddle. If I'm correct the MS Stretch Series targets this?

SL/PE1- Started on Week 9, Not too hard with 5lbs, so I'm going back through and starting on Week 5 with 10lbs and then I'm going to go back through again and do it with 15lbs. I find that my obliques are a lot more noticeable in the mirror, and they are a lot more flexible as I've been doing Hip Circles (10 each direction), Trunk Circles (5 each direction) and Weighted Oblique Stretch (2x30s each side w/20lbs) for warmup.

SLS/PE1- Started on Week 9, Deck Squats are easy, but I wasn't pushing with my legs enough and had lower back fatigue as a result, so I'm going back through Block 3 again and aiming to have perfect form. Already just focusing on pushing with the legs, the lower back fatigue has significantly lowered with these. Skiers are weird and I will be putting a form check up on Tuesday when I do F3.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Post videos for your form on everything before you decide it's good enough to move on from. The only move I would suggest that gets a pass in this regard would be HBP/PE1 (figuring that you can put your hands together behind your back in a prayer pose), but even that's up for debate. If you don't form check with videos now, you'll notice the error of your ways later. Trust me. For me, it happened: thought I aced some movements, anddd that was far from the truth.

 

On Russian Twists stay at five lbs until you can do the mastery number of reps, with proper form (as vetted by a coach or online admin) and then and ONLY then bump up the weight.

 

On all HBP progressions, you need ppt and a hollow body. Don't ask me what that looks like because I'm still figuring it out. I just know that you need it and that I ain't got it -- at least, not yet.

 

Don't worry about strength, you want your joints and ligaments to catch up first. It's not a traditional way of training so the girls won't initially notice your buff biceps and the guys won't necessarily get it either; but when you're able to do HSPU at 75 instead of falling, breaking your hip and being wheelchair bound you'll be glad you stayed the course. 

Dylan Robertson

Daniel, I did Block 3 of Russian Twists @ 5lbs, and have completed the mastery reps, with ease. That's why I am making it harder for myself, I don't feel like it was worth it if it was that easy, so I want to make it harder by upping the weight. For me I think Hollow is just squeeze the Glutes (all the way throught) as I hard as I can and protract the scapula fully (at the top).

I will be uploading videos of my mastery sets when I get to them, I didn't upload any this cycle, as I knew I was going to go back through them again.

Pafke
Dylan Robertson said:

HBP/PE1- Started on Week 9, easy-peasy. Going on to HBP/PE2. I've heard many differing views on how HBP/PE2 should be done though. Some say I need PPT and a Hollow Body (like HBP/PE3 or like the Top Position of sPL/PE1 or like a Straight Arm Plank) and others say that I shouldn't worry about that. What is the correct way to do these?

Scapula should be protracted and depressed at top and natural and depressed in bottom of movement. Also you need to engage PPT and you should rotate your elbows out at top of movement. Depression is very important in this exercise as i read some time ago.

brown.3794

Yes Middle Split helps with Straddle but I find all the stretch courses helpful if you can get them. You're going to need good pike and thoracic flexibility for other elements. 

Giovanni Garcea
Dylan Robertson said:

I've been doing Hip Circles (10 each direction), Trunk Circles (5 each direction) 

Hi, I must ask the question as I want to be sure that I understand the instructions correctly. I tought that both Hip Circles and Trunk Circles are both "5 each direction, 10 repetition total". Is that correct?

Dylan Robertson
Giovanni Garcea said:

Hi, I must ask the question as I want to be sure that I understand the instructions correctly. I tought that both Hip Circles and Trunk Circles are both "5 each direction, 10 repetition total". Is that correct?

That is correct, when I do my warmup for F3, I do 10 each direction for Hip Circles as it is the first oblique mobility drill I do, so I do a little extra to get a little more mobile. During sets, I do 5 each direction, or 10 total.

Giovanni Garcea

Thanks Dylan! I did think it was a personal "extra" on your side, but I asked anyway just to be sure.