Back handspring help ?

Started by jt573660, May 10, 2015 · 5 Replies · 1,602 Views

jt573660

My BHS goes sideways due to my right leg pushing off more I think ? I end up leaning left just before take off. Is there any way to correct it? I've tried pushing more off my left , but i still manage to finish the BHS to my left. Also I notice my left arm swings back further than my right , is that also an issue? And should I jump up more in my BHS to not arch and bend my arms as much ?

https://youtu.be/GJXGkG0A9Zg

help is much appreciated !!!

aiken54

Aside from a few things, it's a nice start. Could you post a side view? 

 

From the back all I can see is that you're jumping to your left by throwing it that way.

 

As for your last question, you cannot back handspring without an arch. Back handsprings are driven by a transition from a tight arch in the first half to a snap to hollow in the second half. The best drill for this in my opinion is handstand snap downs; although I would recommend you get a coach to assess those as there's an infinite number of ways to perform them wrong.

 

As for your arms bending; that's not so much a consequence of your jump height (which in my opinion is fine), but rather the lack of involvement with your shoulders. Your shoulders need to be elevated strongly when you hit the ground so that you can properly block off the floor. The arms should remain straight, making sure your fingers stay pointing forward or slightly in. 

 

It looks like you're confident with the skill, so these should be easy fixes given enough drilling. 

jt573660

Thanks for the tips !!

https://youtu.be/WyW4Qq_79IY

here's a side view , but this was done a while back. My right hand touches first always . So should I over compensate and focus on jumping right instead ?

Alessandro Mainente

Simple question that will solve all your problems probably, how is your bridge?

cHiTu

What a friend told me doing backflips was i need to imagine a line that i need to follow with.

Maybe this will correct your problem.

Blairbob

 The reason you are going off to the side has to do with the shoulder angle of one arm vs the other. One side of your body is opening more than the other 

Solutions:

HS trainer

Spotter

Barrel work focusing on arm opening and hand placement (basically what a spotter would do).