When not to do dislocates?

Started by Prometheus, May 6, 2015 · 12 Replies · 3,716 Views

Prometheus

Coach says no grinding or popping sounds. Yet, my shoulders have some grinding and popping sounds with no pain, with no weight, super wide grip dislocates (2 ft wider than what I am capable). I noticed this when I was doing my warm up with no music.

 

I guess my question would be: if it is inevitable that shoulders will make sounds at any width, what is the protocol?

 

 

Pro

Nick Roy

Dislocates should be weighted, that's part of the issue. It's a different exercise without it.

But simple answer, after you've mastered pe4 and its iM. By that point all of the popping should be gone

Alexander Egebak

H1 has the protocols you need in order to eventually do shoulder dislocates.

 

Sorry, but more specific information about getting there would be giving away restricted information.

Alessandro Mainente

One person that I know for his not-reasonable approach torn a couple of chest fibers doing dislocates with NO WEIGHT. simply there are a lot of people who think dislocates are a beginner exercise.

For the most cases the popping is "articular tissue rearrangement" if:

-it is not paired with pain

-if it is not paired with asymmetric movement between the other same joints

-if for an external pov there are no flipping or moving tendon or muscle or tissue

 

My brother followed strictly the 4 IM before dislocates and after he was really close to match the mastery in terms of grip, he added day by day some weight. so basically spend more time of previous elements reduce a great part of problems.

thecolin
Prometheus said:

I guess my question would be: if it is inevitable that shoulders will make sounds at any width, what is the protocol?

 

No, it's not inevitable. For me it took some extra stretches to get them smoothed out, but it's possible.

Joshua Slocum
thecolin said:

No, it's not inevitable. For me it took some extra stretches to get them smoothed out, but it's possible.

Yeah, some passive stretching may be in order. 

Prometheus

Gotcha. I mastered the 4 IMs. I do not have any snapping tendons/tissue, pain, or asymmetry. I will just be sure to take it much slower as I want to be more cautious anyway. Thanks everyone.

Krel
Alessandro Mainente said:

simply there are a lot of people who think dislocates are a beginner exercise.

Dislocates are a beginner exercise by GST standards because Handstand One is beginner level. Nevertheless, it should be approached appropriately like every single exercise.

thecolin

Dislocates are for beginners in a relative sense. But as far as preparatory exercises, many adults need additional help before training them or they risk injury.

Cole Dano

Beginner is a very relative term.

 

People sometimes interpret it as meaning I should be able to do it perfectly on day one. Not true.

~Atticus
Cole Dano said:

Beginner is a very relative term.

 

People sometimes interpret it as meaning I should be able to do it perfectly on day one. Not true.

 

I still think I'm a beginner at dislocates, even though I've been doing them since the challenge of 2013, and even though I started H1 with some decent mobility -- relative to my age group -- in the shoulders.

 

I think it helps to constantly approach our work as "beginners" even though we feel we've mastered some elements.

 

I just did SLS/PE1 today and improved my form based on a few adjustments I experimented with.

dmcmanam

Ideally you would have a better understanding of the specifics any grinding and popping and could then work to address it.  A lot of people have both muscle imbalances and scar tissue somewhere in their rotator cuff or surrounding muscles - the scar tissue & adhesions would benefit from massage and other tissue work.  So if you haven't checked your subscapularis...clavicular joint, etc, do so and get to work massaging away any "junk", adhesions, etc.

Adriano Augusto

In the courses, before any dislocate motion you have to do 4 mobility exercises as a introductory for dislocates, something very smart because dislocates as I see them are not easy at all.

I see everyday people in the gym doing dislocates with sticks or bands and I got nightmares from it. Lack of mobility 100%.