This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rest periods between training

Started by Bartoflex, May 5, 2015 · 11 Replies · 368 Views

Bartoflex

Hi guys!

I've a question for you. In the last 4-5 months i've trained 4 times a week, 2 times with foundation work (FL, sPL, RC, HBP) and 2 times with different exercises respect those in foundation, (SL, MN, Front supports, Rings support, Ice cream makers, Dips) so I trained my upper body 4 times a week.

4 weeks ago, when i was doing Front lever pulls (ice cream makers) i injured my neck. So, i thought why it's happened. Do you think i'm overloading my body, training 4 times a week the upper body? Should I train my upper body only 2-3 times a week, with only foundation/ Handstand work?

 

Thank you for the advice, i'm very greatful to you.

katlinchen

I think that nobody will really be able to answer this question. It might be from too much work, it might be from wrong technique, it might be because you didn't warm up properly or it might just be bad luck.

The most important thing is to listen to your body and know your own limits!

From my experience, the body gets used to working out very fast and although I am tired sometimes, I work through it. 
I am not a doctor or anything, but in my opinion, working out 4 times a week sounds not too much (depends on what you are doing)

Romulo

Sorry to ask, but what level of Foundation are you? I´m just asking because I got the impression you are a beginner at F1, therefore you shouldn´t be doing front lever pulls! If you are at F1, then the answer to your question is obvious, you were doing something your body was not prepared to do yet.

chuchodani

I personally prefer to do F7 twice a week, it allows you to recover very well between workouts. Maybe you should give it a try and see how it works for you.

Joshua Slocum

Yes, you are doing too much. Don't try to add more strength work on top of Foundation. 

Bartoflex

Hi guys and thank you!

I'm not F1 level! I'm intermediate level.

 

Thank you Joshua for your advice, so i need to follow foundation. But one of my goals is to work on basic movements to prevent injures and maximise muscle growth. So i thought to work 4 days a week on:

Day 1 and 3 Foundation elements: FL, PL, RC, HBP

Day 2 Foundation elements: SL, MN, SLS

Day 4: Pullups, Dips, Dumbell rows, Curls

 

What is your opinion? It's too much?

chuchodani

Day 4 is totally unnecessary, pullups and dips are redundant. If you want to maintain your pullups and dips, you can do a couple of reps before you foundation workout, and weight lifting stuff works better at the end of your foundation sessions if you still have some energy in the tank.

Stephen Majerle

I agree that your Day 4 is unnecessary. It is more likely to hinder progress than be productive. I would rather see that day spent on stretching.

brown.3794

Yea I would also change day 4. Maybe if you have the money pick up h1 or the stretch courses. If not then maybe include some cardio work. Stretching is important because mobility will be a limiting factor in a lot of foundation work and imo it helps with recovery/ prevents injuries. Cardio is great because it helps with increasing work capacity, endurance and recovery. I use jump rope because it is low impact, can be done anywhere and you can add a lot of variety, but choose whatever you want. 

Dylan Robertson

What is your level in Foundation? Adding additional pull-ups and dips is useless, as they are already in the program.

Alexander Egebak

Agree that day 4 is unnecessary, you should rather spend your time on quality training - you cannot do 2 separate programs and expect progress in both.

 

You can do 1-2 sets of whichever exercises you want to maintain after your F1 workout, not before. You want to spend your time and effort on things you want to progress on, not things you already have.

 

The more time you spend on your deficiencies, the faster you progress, and the faster you make it to the "fun" stuff.

Joshua Slocum
Bartoflex said:

Hi guys and thank you!

I'm not F1 level! I'm intermediate level.

 

Thank you Joshua for your advice, so i need to follow foundation. But one of my goals is to work on basic movements to prevent injures and maximise muscle growth. So i thought to work 4 days a week on:

Day 1 and 3 Foundation elements: FL, PL, RC, HBP

Day 2 Foundation elements: SL, MN, SLS

Day 4: Pullups, Dips, Dumbell rows, Curls

 

What is your opinion? It's too much?

 

The whole purpose of Foundation *is* to work through basic movements in order to prevent injuries and promote muscle growth. Adding your day 4 to Foundation is like saying "gee, I really like this olympic lifting program, but maybe I should add in some snatches and clean-and-jerks so that I keep up my explosive strength."