Back lever help. Elbow pain.

Started by nbraun198, August 18, 2009 · 7 Replies · 4,034 Views

nbraun198

Well, I can do the full front lever with no pain at all, but when I try the back lever (only tuck) it puts a lot of pressure on my elbows. I have a little hyper extension but not very much.

I am positioning my hands properly, i know that i am. I just get a lot of strain on the elbow and its this that is hindering me. I work on the iron cross with no problem and i can do a straddle planche with no pain either.

Could this just be because i haven't been working much on the back lever and i need to work up some more elbow strength?

thanks

David Picó García

I also have elbow pain problems with back lever, sometimes, sometimes not. For me it puts a lot of preasure on elbows (well just one in fact) with palms down. the pain is exactly outside where the bones get in touch (it doesn't seem tendon problem). Sure is not enough elbow preparation at that position, and it hurt me when i do full back lever, and the weak link seems to be elbow. I also do some cross work and i also feel preasure but not painfull and it's at another point of the elbow, also planche work puts stress on elbow but i feel it at the inner side while at BL i feel it at the outside.

Blairbob

How low are you going down in the Cross?

Scale the back lever back till it doesn't hurt and progress from there.

nbraun198

For the cross, i go down about 60 degrees (30 degrees from the horizontal) unassisted. I will try doing some lighter things like german hangs i guess, until my elbows get stronger.

Amebix138

I get a pain in my elbow during back levers, actually just when I let go of the bar and drop down. I'm pretty sure the solution is to strengthen my wrist extensors. Something to look into.

Blairbob

It's not your wrist extensors, it's the fact that there is a considerable load being placed on your elbow.

The solution is to keep training the back levers with an appropriate volume and progression to not overdo it.

nbraun198

I started progressing slower and the elbow pain is no longer a problem. Except I am getting pain where my wrist and forearm connect. Not the wrist itself, but where the thinnest part of the wrist is, on the side of the bone. (That's my best description for now). And it only hurts when i let go...

Blairbob

That would be forearm splints. Not slow enough it seems. Start at square 1, don't skip ahead.