Niels' Wrist Mobility

Started by Dylan Robertson, May 3, 2015 · 8 Replies · 2,948 Views

Dylan Robertson

In the newsletter for this month, there was a link to a video on Niels' Facebook. It is some wrist mobility drill but I can't really tell what he is doing? It looks to me that he is just foam rolling his forearms (with a barbell) while doing Wrist curls (normal and reverse)? Is this correct?

prozach

Yeah basically. Pin and stretch for the wrist and finger flexors. Apply some weight and move through your range of motion

dmcmanam

Yeah, my original coach had something like a rolling pin she used on my forearms and it felt great.  I often wanted to re-create the spaghetti machine my grandfather used to make pasta on a larger scale for my forearms but I never figured out how.  If you can stay on the muscle a lot of pressure may do wonders for releasing your forearms.

Alessandro Mainente

I would add that the best result is obtained by manipulating with this techique the inner part of the forearm that regards the pinky, ring finger and middlefinger tendons and muscle belly. hang and handstand create tension especially here compared to the  other regions, in fact excessive work and premature work on them could lead to epitrocleitis . I also suggest a decent work over the counter muscles to balance tension during the rest period of the day.

Mark Collins

It is also really good for the lower biceps and brachialis.

Mark Collins
dmcmanam said:

Yeah, my original coach had something like a rolling pin she used on my forearms and it felt great.  I often wanted to re-create the spaghetti machine my grandfather used to make pasta on a larger scale for my forearms but I never figured out how.  If you can stay on the muscle a lot of pressure may do wonders for releasing your forearms.

I hate it when you think you have a great idea and someone beats you to it.

http://www.armaid.com

chuchodani

What about heavily contracted deltoids ? What you recommend guys.

chuchodani

I try this exercise and it was absolutely effective. I did this after getting a slightly discomfort at the outside of my right elbow after a handstand session, my forearms were pretty tight. After loosen them up with this exercise the discomfort goes away.

MJE
Mark Collins said:

I hate it when you think you have a great idea and someone beats you to it.

http://www.armaid.com

Any experience with that tool? Is it useful or a waste of money? I saw a video where Kelly Starrett recommends armaid, and I think he is one of the guys who knows what they are talking about.

 

Im suffering from forearm / hand pain, quick exhaustion and extreme sensitivity to pressure for over a year now. Doing the exercises shown in Niels video helped me with that, but I cant get rid of the problems, and as soon as I start to do heavier work for a few weeks, the same issues return.