Preventing tightness post-stretching?

Started by gunslinger_burrito, May 1, 2015 · 4 Replies · 2,008 Views

gunslinger_burrito

I've been trying real hard to increase my flexibility, but it feels like the more often and deeper I try and stretch, the tighter my muscles want to get. This is most pronounced in my upper hamstrings (I feel this the most while trying to increase my straddle/pancake) and my hip flexors (probably from my increased MSH work and straddle L work). My front splits are pretty sorry, haha.

 

I would like to know if anyone has any tricks to keep the muscles from getting extra tight after stretching sessions. I'm trying some heat/cold as well as epsom salts. I try and stretch every day, whether it's deep or light.

 

thanks for any info!

Jason Dupree

You should check out the stretch courses... You are stretching hard too often. You will be sore or tight after a good stretch, don't stretch hard again until that's gone. You can lightly limber or mobilize throughout the week, but a sufficiently hard stretching session to increase ROM should only be done once a week per muscle group.

gunslinger_burrito

Thanks. I thought it could be that. I do only really do a deep stretch once a week, but I do light ones to limber up pretty much daily. 

dmcmanam

My warm-up and cool-down stretches definitely help to prevent soreness.  Reading your post is a bit confusing.  I wonder what you mean by trying "real hard to increase flexibility".  Flexibility will vary some day to day but week to week and definitely month to month you will see gains if you are stretching effectively 5-6 times/week.  Your soreness could be from a muscle imbalance, change in strength training or over-engaging/poor technique.  

Instead of going straight to your flexibility limit try backing off and working at 75-90% of your limit more frequently for a week or two.  When you are physically/mentally more prepared then return to your previous limit and see how it feels. 

Jon Douglas

I find I have better results hitting it harder, less frequently. I've never dropped it as low as the stretch course schedule, three devoted sessions/week with sessions addressing distinct areas, but it's made a big difference for me sticking to that.