Back Pain and an MRI

Started by Mark Collins, May 1, 2015 · 5 Replies · 2,183 Views

thecolin

This was really interesting, thanks. I've been reading bits and pieces on modern pain research and I've been interested in learning more.

 

He has another article that's also fascinating:

 

http://theconversation.com/pain-really-is-in-the-mind-but-not-in-the-way-you-think-1151

 

My broad understanding is that pain is an indication of tissue damage, but the intensity of pain is not related to the degree of damage. Do you think that's accurate?

Cole Dano

It doesn't have to be.

 

Here's one of the leading experts giving a very down to earth talk on the subject.

 

Mark Collins
thecolin said:

This was really interesting, thanks. I've been reading bits and pieces on modern pain research and I've been interested in learning more.

 

He has another article that's also fascinating:

 

http://theconversation.com/pain-really-is-in-the-mind-but-not-in-the-way-you-think-1151

 

My broad understanding is that pain is an indication of tissue damage, but the intensity of pain is not related to the degree of damage. Do you think that's accurate?

That's correct. Pain does not always give an accurate indication to the extent of damage. It can make my job really difficult as when I studied Physio we were taught pain equals damage. I have had to change with the research and now I have to educate my patients about how pain does not equal damage.

thecolin
Cole Dano said:

 

Here's one of the leading experts giving a very down to earth talk on the subject.

 

Also brilliant, it looks like this is the same guy who wrote the articles.

 

Has anyone read his books?

Mark Collins
thecolin said:

Also brilliant, it looks like this is the same guy who wrote the articles.

 

Has anyone read his books?

Explain pain is a great book.