This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Working out with A friend - Practicalities

Started by IRT, April 30, 2015 · 14 Replies · 466 Views

IRT

Hi everybody,

 

I want to start doing Foundation, H1 and the Stretch Series with a friend. How has everybody combined this with the no rest protocol between Exercises and iMs? Interested in hearing the best way to approach this.

 

Cheers,

Iwan

Bro'

I'd say both start at the very first step, unless you have specific problems, you'll most likely progress at the same speed through the first micro-cycle. By that time, you may know the series well enough to just do it together but independently. If you share equipment, that might make it harder than I'm saying.

The only time I tried to do Foundation with someone, I started them at the very start (obviously), so they had a few sets of 12 seconds or 3 reps while I had to work through multiple sets of 48-60 seconds on different exercises, so yeah that's kinda hard to do that, especially when you're working and the person asks 'wait, what was I supposed to do again?'

Jon Douglas

Easiest is to supervise each other, but that does tend to make the time stack up. You may progress in sync sometimes, but I wouldn't expect that the majority of the time

dritar

If you don't mind the extra time, a very good use of a partner would be to monitor your form AND to shout/encourage you.

 

I'm 100% certain I would master some moves faster if I had someone to shout at me.

Jason Dupree

I've worked out with a friend a few times. Usually not at the same place. Sometimes we do things in sync, but most of the time we go over what we are about to do, say see you on the other side, and do our things next to each other, which actually draws even more attention from the Gymfolk. We repeat for each element. If one finishes early, the other encourages. If it's something using the same equipment we will stagger the best we can, one starts a set, the other starts while the first does mobility. Not always pretty but saves time. Stuff where you need a partner (twisting arch ups for instance) ... Still haven't figured that out besides either doubling the time or saving mobility for the very end and switching off strength and spotting. It's not always pretty but given the choice I'll work out with someone, because for the most part this GST has been a very lonely adventure.

RJS

chances are one of you will drop out when the going gets tough so dont depend on anyone.

chuchodani

From my experience it's impossible to do foundation with a partner in the way you're supposed to, because the only rest time you have is the iM, and as stated in the posts above sometimes your elements will differ on execution time. The few times I have the change to train with someone I prefer to first help him/her to complete their training and then he/she help me with mine.

Mathew Bunch

I work out with my daughter. I'm a couple steps ahead but I show her what to do at the start of the block, occasionally checking form on exercises I know she struggles with - mainly upper body - and off we go. We do bottleneck at the RC and IMs that include a weighted bar due to small inventory, but other than that workouts go smoothly.

Jon Douglas
RJS said:

chances are one of you will drop out when the going gets tough so dont depend on anyone.

Ouch! :P

But yeah, this happens a lot...

Jason Dupree

That one to drop out is not gonna be me... ;) 

Joshua Slocum

What I'd do is each start doing your workout. Maybe start out with one or two exercises that each of you can do together to make the experience more shared. If you need an eye on a particular exercise, ask for it. In general I don't think it's a bad thing to take a little extra time between exercises if you're doing so to help a friend with their workout. 

 

Another idea: you could stagger your deload weeks. That way when one of you is on your most intense week, the other person has some time free and is able to shout encouragement/keep you honest. 

Jacques Moore

Can anyone on this thread give me any suggestions for a solo workaround for twisting arch ups?  I've tried on a GHD and my fixed foot position seems too high and really taxes my hamstrings at the expense of effective contraction in my back and obliques.  I noticed the woman in the video on rings and a ladder of some kind - unfortunately my rings are nowhere near my cage so I can't rig something up that way.  Any ideas???  Help!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Something you could do (I did this yesterday since my brother wants to workout with me but certainly is not as consistent nor inclined to GST) is to switch the order of the exercises. Yesterday I was working the upper body (FL, sPL, HBP, and RC). Since FL and sPL are bodyweight only progressions, we did those together. Then, since I only have one set of rings, one of us went ahead with HBP while the other did RC, and then we switched. Yes, his form was not up to snuff, but he just wanted to work out with me and not have me coach him/check his form. 

Done this way, the workout keeps its duration and everybody wins. If your form is questionable maybe you could each do extra sets and have the other person film you, critique you, but in my eyes switching the order might be the easiest fix. 

Greg White
On 7/28/2016 at 0:38 AM, Jacques Moore said:

Can anyone on this thread give me any suggestions for a solo workaround for twisting arch ups?  I've tried on a GHD and my fixed foot position seems too high and really taxes my hamstrings at the expense of effective contraction in my back and obliques.  I noticed the woman in the video on rings and a ladder of some kind - unfortunately my rings are nowhere near my cage so I can't rig something up that way.  Any ideas???  Help!

This may help

Dorian Brown

I workout with my GF sometimes and usually I just have her start 5 min before me. She has less reps and sets than me so if we do need to share equipment she is usually done by the time I get to the same exercise. If you follow the GB Pro temp most early elements seem to take about 5 - 7 min.