This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Single Bar Home Setup for Dips

Started by Sensei JP, April 29, 2015 · 7 Replies · 332 Views

Sensei JP

I'm about to master HBP PE6 and finally head into the realm of F2.  Huzzah!

 

Looking at the progressions, just about everything from here on out requires a single bar.  I don't have a single parallel bar just lying around.  My local parks don't offer much help either.  Closest thing would be the bar that holds up swings, but it is fairly thick and about 15ft off the ground, so not ideal to say the least.

 

How have people set this one up?  Any convenient home setups?  I'm thinking I could do a variation of the dips on my kitchen counter.  Also, I could rest a pipe in my ring straps and have a suspended bar, though that might be too unstable.  

 

Any thoughts or creative uses of home items would be appreciated!

Gavin S

I am lucky in that I have a storage room I converted to a gym. Scaffolding is the answer to pretty much all equipment needs. I have 4 floor to ceiling compression tubes and then a few horizontal pipes.

 

Not sure if you have the space for this. I got second hand tubing at a very reasonable price.

Cole Dano

Care to share some photos Gavin?

Gavin S

Sure, I can take some tonight and upload tomorrow.

Gavin S

Here is my gym setup. As you can see I have the scaffolding set for L-sits (parallel bars) but I can move the horizontals wherever I want, even remove them when I use the rings. I included a shot of my stall bars as well.

 

I think you could even replicate stall bars with the scaffolding if you needed to, by adding more horizontal bars to the vertical pipes.

 

 

post-1423-0-60389900-1430440863_thumb.jp

post-1423-0-78762200-1430440885_thumb.jp

post-1423-0-15075400-1430440918_thumb.jp

Cole Dano

Thanks Gavin, looks simple but effective.

Sensei JP

My dad works in the construction industry, so perhaps I'll ask him if he can get scaffolding or something similar on the cheap.  Looking at the elements ahead, I'll need some dedicated equipment I think.

 

For now, I'm just finishing up my deload week and will soon start the single bar dips.  I've tried a few practice reps on my kitchen counter and it seems doable if not ideal; my knees alternate between banging off the cupboards and gliding/scraping down them.  I don't think my counter it will work for the HBP PE8, and obviously not the Korean dips, but I'll cross the bridge when I get there I guess.

Edoardo Cagnola

And what about something like this? It should work for Russian dips too.

 

post-14515-0-68288800-1443348246_thumb.jpost-14515-0-51816300-1443348248_thumb.j