This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1, SLS/PE1, Form check

Started by Ron Walker, April 28, 2015 · 8 Replies · 304 Views

Ron Walker

 Please check my form

 



Ron Walker

              Zach I believe your can view the MN video now.  

 

 

 

               SLS: I seem to have flexibility issues. I can`t get my heels closer to my glutes yet, but I am working on it.

 

 

               

Cole Dano

To fix the block just reup the video without sound.

Ron Walker

here is another MN video

 

 

Ron Walker

Uptaded SLS/PE1  form check

 

Micawberian
Zach Armijo said:

MN is spot on. Good job. 

For the PE, doesn't the lower back need to flatten out at the end of every repetition? And isn't the ROM lacking a bit?

For the IM, isn't the tempo too fast, and the movement is being performed slightly incorrectly with the dumbbell straying off directly above the shoulder and the free arm traveling outside of the body?

It is the little things here that made me wonder why you said "spot on" :huh: ? Clarification would be helpful. Especially, I thought the flattening of the lower back at the end/start of a rep was an important part of the MN movements through HLL's.

Micawberian

Thanks for the reply!

Zach Armijo said:

The lower back need to be relaxed at every rep to reengage hollow. HLLs are different in that we want the lower back pressed flat as much as possible until the body no longer can ...

I don't quite understand this. Can you elaborate? What's wrong with keeping the lower back flat through the entire set? Why does the body need to disengage-reengage the hollow position? And why are HLL's different in that we want the lower back pressed flat all the way?

Just looking to understand the position more. I know that we are guilty of over-analyzing "some"times...

Cole Dano

From a gymnastic POV. A huge part of gymnastic core strength is about shape transition. Since in gymnastic skill work rotational power is largely generated by quickly changing from one shape to the other.

 

From and exercise POV, it provides a more complete ROM. For example, hopefully everyone knows that a pull up should be done from a dead hang in order to get a complete ROM. The same holds for the V-up progression.

 

In practice, people will normally arch in the beginning due to weakness. As the abs get stranger and the they hold without arching, this seems like a way to step it up. Later one realises that allowing the arch to come via a controlled negative is an sen more effective way to step it up.

Joel Savell

I have been wondering about the ROM on these as well.  I have been working on MN/PE1 for a while and thought that the requirement was to literally touch the knees to the chest, which is something I can't do without squeezing with my arms.  When I do tuck ups, my knees come to within a few inches of my chest, but don't actually touch. But it would seem based on this thread and a few other form checks I looked at, that a few inches away from the chest is OK?