This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hanging on a low bar for HLL

Started by Alan Tseng, April 28, 2015 · 5 Replies · 241 Views

Alan Tseng

For the hanging leg lifts, I hang on a bar that's quite low.  That means at the bottom of the movement, I have to bend my knees into a tuck position (90* angle behind me) in order to have enough clearance.

 

At the moment, this place is the only option for me.  Would this be acceptable for now?

Cole Dano

You have to use what you have access to.

 

I*m not so sure about the tucking your legs at the bottom but have also never tried it. If you keep your legs straight what kind of angle do you wind up at when your feet touch the floor? How did you do the previous HLL variations?

Jeremy Huston

The top half of the movement is the most important (hardest) part.  If you can get your legs to horizontal before initiating the tuck, it seems like it should be pretty comparable to the prescribed exercise.

Alan Tseng
Cole Dano said:

You have to use what you have access to.

I*m not so sure about the tucking your legs at the bottom but have also never tried it. If you keep your legs straight what kind of angle do you wind up at when your feet touch the floor? How did you do the previous HLL variations?

I started MN/PE5 this week, before when I was doing MN/PE4 I had my legs tucked whole time.

If I keep my legs straight whole way, I'm around 45-60 degrees at bottom

Cole Dano

Keep your legs straight. Tucking and straightening your legs on the way up turns into a kick far too easily.

Awesssss

I have a similiar problem. My stall bar was too low.

 

It was either to do them on a free bar or skip all the way to V-L hanging leg lift. Of course this was not possible for me, so I just did negatives of V-L hanging leg lifts. I can do 2-3 reps  of V-L ones now. Pretty awesome. :)

 

But as soon as I change the gym, I will do full hanging leg lifts. just to check.