This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

weight distribution for wrist and fingertip walks

Started by Mitchell Church, April 28, 2015 · 5 Replies · 211 Views

Mitchell Church

Hi everyone,

 

New user here and first time poster.  I had a question about the various "walks" in handstand one.  How do you distribute your weight in these exercises.  In the videos it almost seems like the models are distributing the weight to their other arm before going up onto their fingertips, for example, but this doesn't seem correct to me. 

 

Is the goal to keep weight evenly distributed between both arms while doing the exercises, without shifting weight back and forth as the movements are performed?

Jeremy Huston

Definitely use the other arm to take some weight off. If you don't these are just as hard as the 2 handed version.

Jon Douglas

Yes, shift your weight. Once you have full ROM, take a touch more weight on the wrist movement. Absolutely do not rush to make it a strength move :) pamper your wrists, they are taking a beating!

Mitchell Church
Jeremy Huston said:

Definitely use the other arm to take some weight off. If you don't these are just as hard as the 2 handed version.

Well glad I asked this question then!  I thought I was observing a weight shift in the videos.  I haven't peeked ahead too much, so I don't know what the 2 handed version is exactly but I can imagine.  Thanks again. 

Jeremy Huston

Sometimes peaking ahead is a good idea to know what the current progression is preparing for.

brown.3794

Definitely take wrist work slowly.remember your strengthening connective tissue not muscle.