This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strained muscle, muscle tear, knotted trigger point, or other?

Started by curtis, April 26, 2015 · 4 Replies · 192 Views

curtis

Question for the forum:

 

I'm wondering how you can identify the differences, and best remedies for those conditions? I have a tight spot in the muscle around the top of the femur. Pancake work really highlights the tightness. I was noticeably protecting the right side due to discomfort during pancake walks by easing off the stretch.  I stopped the session and aggressively used a lacrosse ball and nobby shaped ball on the tight area (just sat all my weight down on it). This worked well enough to significantly restore range nearly equal with the other side (magic), but only long enough to handle about 8 reps of pancake bounces- then the tightness started to return. I ended the session early and now feel soreness in the area, but I think the soreness is a result of the lacrosse ball work rather than additional strain.

 

I don't sense any sharp pains when stretching in pike, or squatting deep. It's more of a deep tissue tightness and restriction- especially in pancake.

 

So I'm wondering if more deep, deep tissue work can resolve this, or it's a case of resting and not trying to stretch the area for a while? Is there a way to know the best approach other than trial and error? I know that deep massage work is great for tissue adhesions, but if it's a torn muscle would that still be the correct solution?

 

Any ideas?

Cory Fair
curtis said:

Question for the forum:

 

I'm wondering how you can identify the differences, and best remedies for those conditions? I have a tight spot in the muscle around the top of the femur. Pancake work really highlights the tightness. I was noticeably protecting the right side due to discomfort during pancake walks by easing off the stretch.  I stopped the session and aggressively used a lacrosse ball and nobby shaped ball on the tight area (just sat all my weight down on it). This worked well enough to significantly restore range nearly equal with the other side (magic), but only long enough to handle about 8 reps of pancake bounces- then the tightness started to return. I ended the session early and now feel soreness in the area, but I think the soreness is a result of the lacrosse ball work rather than additional strain.

 

I don't sense any sharp pains when stretching in pike, or squatting deep. It's more of a deep tissue tightness and restriction- especially in pancake.

 

So I'm wondering if more deep, deep tissue work can resolve this, or it's a case of resting and not trying to stretch the area for a while? Is there a way to know the best approach other than trial and error? I know that deep massage work is great for tissue adhesions, but if it's a torn muscle would that still be the correct solution?

 

Any ideas?

 

Deep tissue work is not the solution, correct tissue work for a specific type of problem is. For muscles that are protective, use kneading techniques on the muscle in the order of origin-belly-insertion rather than digging in with a lacrosse ball.

 

Differentiation & Treatment for TP, Hypertonus, Strain

 

Trigger Point - Located specifically at points in a muscle that receive highest amounts of tension during contraction. When pressure is put directly on it, there will be an immediate jump/flinch response. Sustained pressure will increase ROM for the muscle. A legitimate TP should be treated by a competent therapist who first disengages the pain analyzing system. The direct pressure/ lacrosse ball method only provides the appearance of relief and in most cases puts you at risk for myogelosis.

 

Hypertonus - Tension or protectiveness without pain. Kneading as described above will greatly reduce the tension.

 

Strain - Pain, weakness, inflammation (swelling). Treatment should come from a professional to make a complete recovery.

curtis

Myogelosis? Sounds like the exact opposite of supple, elastic tissue.

 

As usual, there's more to it than I imagined. I have not been impressed with the PT I've seen in the past, so finding a great one is part of the problem. I'd prefer to be able to learn to self-diagnose issues as they arise, but I think you revealed that this might take quite a lot of study and practice for best results. I'll wait to see if this improves, and seek professional help if it doesn't.

 

Thanks Cory.

Cory Fair

It's perfectly normal to have right/left imbalances in strength and flexibility. If there isn't pain, you generally don't have to worry. As long as you work at an intensity appropriate for your body, the flexibility will come with time. :)

curtis

Took your advice, Cory, and visited a well reviewed local PT. She applied heat with an ultrasound device and finger massage. Clearly located a few tight, "fibrous" areas on the one side, and she recommended less compression in the hip area by sitting up a couple inches on some folded up mats during the pancake work. That slight adjustment does seem to make the hamstring take more of the stretch than the low back/hip.

 

Trying to self-diagnose and treat issues can be hit and miss (I'm learning).