This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pike through on floor video and question

Started by katlinchen, April 24, 2015 · 5 Replies · 126 Views

katlinchen

As you can see, when I Pike Press through to handstand on floor, my feet always slide along the floor.

Would it be better to train it that way or to use a book of about an inch and pike through without touching the floor?

My goal is, of course, to not touch the floor and I know I need to improve my compression a lot.

The other videos are just random ones, sorry for that, I once put them together and can't separate them anymore.


Thanks

video-1429911810.mp4.mp4

Alessandro Mainente

I think that sometime depends upon body proportion.

in my gym there are 4 kids who can perform it. 3 of them need to do the press on the fingers in order to avoid the sliding movement. one one of them is able to do it on the palm. as a coincidence the proportion of their phyques is different. the last one has short legs compared to the other.

katlinchen
Alessandro Mainente said:

I think that sometime depends upon body proportion.

in my gym there are 4 kids who can perform it. 3 of them need to do the press on the fingers in order to avoid the sliding movement. one one of them is able to do it on the palm. as a coincidence the proportion of their phyques is different. the last one has short legs compared to the other.

Thank You. I actually haven't been very consistent training this, I just did my regular straddle presses with weights plus some compression work. Yesterday I tried it on floor for the first time with flat palms and managed to get through, but with sliding the floor as you can see in the video.

My legs are pretty long, so I am having a hard time getting them through. However, I have not really put a lot of work in it, so I hope to be able to get through one day with almost not touching the floor if I work on it a little.

I now wanted to know if it would be better to train it like in the video with sliding the floor or if I should practice on a little higher surface were I can get through easily. Do you have any other compression drills? I do the sitting leg lifts with my hands at my heels plus some regular leg lifts, but that is it.

Thank You!

Alessandro Mainente

To increase the pike you can try do it with lower back arching, trying to push you butt outside and far from you. usually lower back and upper back are used to compensate. if you can take off them from the equation you and obtain 1-2 cm more.

katlinchen
Alessandro Mainente said:

To increase the pike you can try do it with lower back arching, trying to push you butt outside and far from you. usually lower back and upper back are used to compensate. if you can take off them from the equation you and obtain 1-2 cm more.

Thank you for your help!

I already managed to pike through without any "crash" with the floor. My feet are still sliding a litte, but I could pike through even without socks and from V-Sit after a few tries.

May I ask you something?

Is it possible that all of this press handstand training is not really a matter of getting stronger, but more like muscle coordination?

I started doing serious press handstand work about 13 months ago, I couldn't even do a straddle press from a stand, not even against a wall. It all happened so fast, I couldn't believe it myself.

When I started working the Pike through for the first time about 3 months ago, I needed about 7 inches to get through. Within a week, I could get through with only 3 inches. Then I stopped working them for a few weeks, because I concentrated on other things, I just did my regular straddle presses in training, but no pike through training at all.

4 days ago I thought I could give it a try again, because I had some spare time. The first day I could do it with 2 inches, the next day with 1 inch, the third day I could do it on floor with my feet touching like in the video and yesterday I managed it with almost not touching the floor at all.

So what is it about really?

Alessandro Mainente

I think that think the strength and coordination as 2 separated fields is reductive.

Strength is a result of 3 primarily things:

- fire frequency of alpha moto neurons

-intra muscles coordination

-extra muscles coordination that means paired work on reflex of the duality agonist- antagonist

As you can see strength is a more efficient coordination of neural activity.