This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FORM CHECK: Frog Stand (sPL/SE1) with FOCUS on Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold

Started by kingzlo, April 24, 2015 · 16 Replies · 461 Views

kingzlo

I know I'll get used to the Frog Stand eventually.  My thing is with the "Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold".  This is my second attempt at this (Tuesday was my first attempt).  As I read through 2 forums so far, I received additional advice on how to get the Mobility workout going with 2 forms of substitutions.  Shown below in the videos (2nd half of each, first half is the Frog Stand).  Also during the second attempt I noticed I was able to push up from it (guessing because I had a wider grip).

 

 

chuchodani

The problem with your frog stand is that you're going downwards instead of leaning forward, if you lean forward you will hit the balance point, it's similar to an elbow lever, people think elbow lever is about doing a kick with your legs and eventually finding the balance, and is not that way, right way is to lean forward until your feet leave the floor.

 

Here is an old video of my frog stand:

 

kingzlo

Thanks for the input guys.  Again, this is my second attempt at both parts of the routine and I've read how others have been frustrated with this, especially the mobility.  I got to keep my grip closer as well. 

 

Watching my videos made me laugh as I fell on my head periodically to get in the frogStand position.  I know you laughed as well, it's ok.

LateStarter@46

I didn't laugh, I was horrified!

Rayne-William

For frogstand (AKA: Crow / Bakasana):

A) Rotate your upper arm so that the pits of your elbows are pointing forward

B) Tighten your entire core, especially your lats, serratus anterior.

C) Protract and depress your scapula

D) Place your knees on your elbows while your toes are on the ground

E) As it is has been previously mentioned, lean forward.

F) Press your finger tips or the heel of your hand into the surface you are working with as counter balance. Like the tail feathers of a bird, your lower legs can also be used for some counter balancing. 

kingzlo

Thanks for the tips on the Frog Stand.  I know it may be hard to discuss about the Mobility side of this, being "Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold" for I'm sure you all my have had difficulty doing that in the beginning (maybe).  

 

I see how HBP/PE3 and  sPL intertwine with each other, although I'm still on HBP/PE2.  As I have progressed to this+ sPL/SE1, I've been frustrated with this routine, at the beginning, and have asked around the forum about it.  From my understanding, I realized that this is all, in a sense a push routine, both static and dynamic, even the HS (Handstand) Series Courses.  

 

It dawned on me this morning, when I woke up and was thinking/writing/doing, that getting into the HS/PE2 (headstand), with the head on the ground, with hands, and the legs not going all the way to the top, BUT at the halfway mark (and the legs are going away from the body (energy starts to form)) will help with the progression of the Mobility of sPL/SE1 routine and the actual routine itself, the Frog Stand.  

 

I realized that the FORM CHECK definitely helps for I looked at my form and being an absolute beginner with sPL/SE1, for now, laughing at myself with this video (being my second attempt (the first attempt was very frustrating), but then seeing it actually gave me the better perspective visually.  So it is best with getting others opinions, which is a plus, and ones own opinion for you are what you eat (in this sense, with your personal workout).

Mark Collins
kingzlo said:

Watching my videos made me laugh as I fell on my head periodically to get in the frogStand position. I know you laughed as well, it's ok.

This was funny. You should keep this to look back at for a laugh.

I would start with the big toes touching the ground and slowly lean forwards until the toes slowly lift off. If you feel like you are going to fall forward push down with the fingers. Also try barefoot. Not many gymnasts competing in work shoes and white socks;)

Try resting a little longer between failed attempts. As you develop the skill you can cut down the rest.

For the iM try getting the legs in a wider straddle.

Cole Dano

Maybe I missed them, but did you post any of your earlier sPL PEs?

kingzlo
Cole Dano said:

Maybe I missed them, but did you post any of your earlier sPL PEs?

No I have not.  But I thought to do warmup routines before the actual routines of some or all of the exercises, since I believe I have "sufficient energy".  If not, to do such routines I've done before on my off days to keep them ingrained.  So I may just have videos of those posted as well soon. ;-)

 

Strange how that was on my mind and you happen to ask that question.  Not to post the videos, but to keep the past routines into the workout.  I've been doing research further to see if I should get more workouts in my routine for I believe I may be able to go through more.  I love GST.  And although I lost weight, I know I will gain it back, in a much better look and feel (hopefully before actually getting into "Rings Series" (future reference)).

Cole Dano

The steps before SE1 are very important for building some shoulder strength and getting the feel for how to handle the forward lean.

 

Since you've been posting so many form checks, and taking advice so well, I think letting us see those steps would be beneficial to you.

kingzlo
Cole Dano said:

The steps before SE1 are very important for building some shoulder strength and getting the feel for how to handle the forward lean.

 

Since you've been posting so many form checks, and taking advice so well, I think letting us see those steps would be beneficial to you.

Will do.  I've started with 'Scapular Shrugs', but the top position was not acurate.  Will have to create another video of that and the other previous PE's to show that I'm ready for THIS  SE1 routine I'm in now.  In the meantime.  I'm getting better, thankfully for advice from all and muscle memory.  Here is the video.

 

kingzlo

But it looks like I need to not put too much emphasis as I did in first onto this second round, for I FAILED on the second round (should've been satisfied with holding the frogStand for as long as I could and move onto the iM, but NOOO, I was thinking to do more and more (as you can see)).  Especially going into pressure in the lower position after feeling the fatigue on my left arm.  LESSON LEARNED.  Fortunately, I was able to do the remainder of F7 (especially the pushups HS/PE2 (surprisingly with good form (that video posted as if my left arm wasn't affected from this).    

 

kingzlo

And I should've started from the top position of HS/PE3 and work my way down 'slowly' and hold that position for the Mobility side (as I hear throughout the forums).  From this experience, I manage to do a few reps of HS/PE3, although I'm not there yet (practice on my off days).  At first I could not even get up from one rep.  Practice makes perfect indeed.  I just have to be more mindful (and careful) with this routine (overStress), and work my way up from absolute beginner (unless I'm able to hold frogstand position longer (tonights, actually tomorrow Morning's, bout).   

 

- Negative experience - nearly went out of commission with my left wrist (at least the connection to it 'forearm/finger connections (feels stiff, but I stretch it periodically throughout the day)).  I do martial arts and learned to close my fist where my fingers are FULLY closed, but I could not close it that way, just regular.  

 

- Positive experience - both my forearms are feeling stronger, even up in my bicep muscles, for it affects that area going a few reps per 3 sets, tuesday night, with HS/PE3 practice.  And since I'm on block3 of HS/PE2, for so long, this may just get me out of that plateau (I believe).

chuchodani

I think you should go back to the very firsts sPL preparatory elements. Talking through experience, when you take down planche lean and the previous elements, Frog stand and SA Frog Stand become a joke.

kingzlo

I understand that I may have to practice more on the previous sPL/PE's.  Here is the first one (sPL/PE1) I did as a warmup and will do during on/off days to strengthen the necessary areas to get better @ the Mobility side of this routine.  Mind you, not to compare and contrast, but I'm hearing this "Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold" is brutal and will take time.  I know I'm getting better with the frog stand though.  More sPL/PE videos coming soon.  

 

NOTE: although you cant see it, but I'm going as 'hollow' on the top as I can.  I'll post a better video another time.

 

chuchodani

You need to focus on sPL/PE1, for what I saw on the video, you have not master this PE. First you need to fix your hand placement to shoulder width, you're using a wide grip, which is not correct. Second, at some reps you're bending at your elbow, given evidence of a lack of scapular control.

 

I think worrying about BAHSPH, is like worrying for a muscle up, most gymnast do amazing muscle ups not because of directly practicing it, it just the matter that they have amazing straight arm strength and it translates to muscle ups.

 

Look, I'm going to show you a video of myself as a backup of what I'm saying. Now I'm working on sPL/PE5 and I'm really weak at pushing movements and just by working on it, I'm able to get some more advanced elements without training directly for it, and also without reaching mastery at planche lean. Think about how my BAHSPH will look when I get mastery at all the elements before Frog stand and mastery at HBP/PE3.

 

kingzlo

EDIT:  Looking back at my video (see: Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:28 PM), I saw that I did the sPL/SE1 3 times without rest, then I did a 'theoretical' move for the iM by using headstand HS/PE2 (by going onto my head and holding legs up in bent position to see if I can lower to get into the Half Straddle Planche Hold", 2 times without rest, in addition to getting into PPP and holding it in the bottom position, it's no wonder my left hand sprained a bit.  That was a Big mistake.  

 

And looking at the GB videos, I see the hands are at a slight angle, especially noticed from video of PPP.  My fingers were pointed straight ahead, instead of out at a slight angle away from the body (example left hand mid finger pointed 10 oclock and right hand where mid finger pointed 2 oclock).  That's what I get for focusing on a narrow elevate mat.  Right or wrong?