This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

042415 pushup (HBP/PE2) & Mobility formCheck

Started by kingzlo, April 24, 2015 · 9 Replies · 191 Views

kingzlo

I'm still doing this routine for the longest, right next to my pulling routine (hinge Row).  I've incorporated the TUT (time under tension) system in it by starting off with going back to the absolute beginning (Block1) and worked my way back to Block 3.  

 

I know this is a bad video angle.  At least the mobility side of it, the xiaopeng, shows pretty well.

 

Pafke

It seems that you pike your hips in last reps of pushups. Elbows should be as close as possible to your body when doing pushups and at top of every rep you should rotate them outwards. I cant tell nothing about scapula becouse i cant see it well.

chuchodani

It seems like you're retracting your scaps at the bottom position of the pushup, to my understanding you should perform them with a protracted scap, try to stay protracted in all the motion. About iM it looks like at the backwards motion your arm is bent, if it is right, it should be straight.

chuchodani
Zach Armijo said:

Negative. Your main focus should be hard protraction at the top. You will never be protracted in the bottom of the rep. 

 

As far as the iM goes, you want to mainly use your shoulder ROM and less of a twist in your torso. That isn't to say there will not be any rotation, but the emphasis is on shoulder ROM. 

Zach, I'm a little confused right now. I've seen a couple of form checks here about HBP/PE2, and the ones that show high retraction at the bottom were not that good in terms of the critique receive, and even in the course video I cannot see the scaps of the athlete touching each other, there are just a slightly change in the protraction. When I perform HBP/PE2 I try to look exactly like the form showed in the course video and it doesn't look like OP video. 

kingzlo

Thanks for the reply everyone.  It looks like I need to "take notes" and watch the video a few times, especially since I've been going through this particular routine for quite some time.  I value your opinions.  I should have another video of this to show a better angle and hopefully I've absorbed the info given.

chuchodani
kingzlo said:

Thanks for the reply everyone.  It looks like I need to "take notes" and watch the video a few times, especially since I've been going through this particular routine for quite some time.  I value your opinions.  I should have another video of this to show a better angle and hopefully I've absorbed the info given.

A side view of the pushups could be helpful.

kingzlo
chuchodani said:

A side view of the pushups could be helpful.

That was my thought and it will be coming up in this post.  Stay tuned.

kingzlo

Here is the side view (much better view), taken on Monday 042715; part of my F7 training.

 

chuchodani

Pushups looks good, but you need to keep the lower back without arch, focus on getting that PPT

 

iM: In the forward motion it looks like your drifting the arm too much to the side, I would keep it more at the front.

kingzlo

Thanks churchodani on your feedback.  I tried to figure out what ppt was and found it here (and pasted it below).  I had to look it up via Google.  

 

Joshua Slocum said:

PPT or posterior pelvic tilt refers to a specific movement of your pelvis. "Hollow body" refers to the positioning of the entire body: a slightly rounded upper back, a straight or slightly rounded lower back, PPT, and straight hips and knees. 

I'll be working on that.