Eating liver?

Started by palleon86, April 24, 2015 · 12 Replies · 3,861 Views

palleon86

I tried it for the first time a few days in a row about six months ago and again this week. Both times I've eaten it, I felt like superman.  Does anyone else here have experience with liver?

LateStarter@46

I love liver and eat it 3 or 4 times a month. It's a great superfood. I don't feel like superman afterwards though, just full!  :)

jfreaksho

I hated it when I was a kid.  I tried some liverwurst a while back and it was pretty meh the first time.  I tried it again and it was the best thing I've ever tasted.  Now I get it every couple of months and it tastes like the best thing ever for a little bit.  If I have too much of it I find it doesn't taste good anymore.

 

There are some things that people call "acquired tastes" like blue cheese and liver, where your body has to learn the link between the terrible flavor and the nutritional value before it makes the food taste good.  I'm still not really a fan of kidneys though.

 

There was an interesting article (that I can't find now) about a guy who was lost at sea.  After some time his reptile brain kicked in and he started eating the organs and eyeballs of the fish he was catching.  Muscle meat just doesn't have all the nutrients that organ meat does.

Wolf with one Ear

I have been looking for a good source of grass fed animal liver.  I will try Whole Foods to see what they have.  I keep meaning to try liver; I have earmarked a few recipes in some of the paleo eating books that I have.  Anyone have any recommendations on preparation?

Daniel Burnham
Wolf with one Ear said:

I have been looking for a good source of grass fed animal liver. I will try Whole Foods to see what they have. I keep meaning to try liver; I have earmarked a few recipes in some of the paleo eating books that I have. Anyone have any recommendations on preparation?

Whole foods here carries liver for 3.99 pre lb. Used to be cheaper actually.

Nothing quite beats liver and onions. Had it last night actually. Very simple and delicious.

palleon86

This time I had it, I soaked it in milk for 3-4 hours first.  Then I cooked some bacon, then browned some onions in the bacon fat, and finally threw the liver in the bacon fat with the onion on top.  It was only half bad after all that. =p  Everything I read about it says you have to be real careful not to overcook it or else it gets tough and chewy.  I had it on the stove for less than 5 minutes and parts of it were already a bit chewy.

LateStarter@46

Yes, absolutely do not overcook it - should be soft and the pink colour only just gone. Use butter or extra virgin olive oil if you can. Wonderful with onions and mashed potatoes. I find pigs liver is tastier than lambs liver.

Aspirant

I love liver, especially from fowl, chicken, duck and goose but I like pig and lamb also.

 

My concern is the amount of toxins one can potentially uptake from eating so much liver, since it is a major organ of detoxification in animals, especially if you don't know how the animals have been fed/reared especially with regards to anti-biotics (but I suppose this is the same with all meat), and I just don't trust an "organic" label one bit..

Daniel Burnham

The liver performs detoxification, but does not store toxins.  Toxins are more likely to be encapsulated in the fatty tissues of the body.  So in reality eating fatty meats would be more dangerous in that regard.

Aspirant
Daniel Burnham said:

The liver performs detoxification, but does not store toxins.  Toxins are more likely to be encapsulated in the fatty tissues of the body.  So in reality eating fatty meats would be more dangerous in that regard.

That's a good point with the fat. However I'm note sure it's entirely correct, since then there would be no reason to soak and wash liver in water so thoroughly as is generally recommended if you are buying it straight from the butcher, I am not a chef or a good one just what I've been told.

 

Yes it doesn't store toxins per say but there is certainly accumulation like a filter, and it is inclined to heavy metal retention, I suppose that's what the washing/soaking is for.

 

I would eat it every 2nd day if I could (there is a restaurant near me that does it)! But I'd just be concerned about the high Vitamin A content but again this is just hearsay for me.

jfreaksho

Soaking is more for flavor- it dilutes any remaining blood/ juices that are left and makes it more palatable.  Lemon juice and milk are both very popular for this purpose, though I've found other references that say water is just as good.

 

Furthermore, the heavy metal accumulation that you are so worried about varies, and is sometimes less than the muscle meat:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/does-the-liver-store-toxins/

 

Key quote:

 

If you avoid liver because of toxins, you should probably avoid the rest of the animal, too.

Aspirant

Well I did read a bit more about eating liver, and much to my delight it appears to be a wonder food, very glad as it's my favourite kind of meat.

 

Only concern sitll on my mind is the high Vitamin A content!

Joakim Anderson

I eat liver several times a week. So does my son who is just over a year old. We are doing fine. :D