Vibration & Flexibilty Work

Started by Nic Scheelings, August 16, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,971 Views

Nic Scheelings

Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of research on flexibility of late and came across an interesting article about the use of vibration combined with stretching.

Article here

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:of ... clnk&gl=au

The Study included Ten young elite male gymnasts (Small sample size) and was assessing their splits proficiency, basically subjects performed a few splits techniques with the aid of a vibration device. The authors concluded a significant improvement in stretching in conjunction with vibration over stretching alone.

For those who don't want to read the whole article they pose a couple of possible reasons:

1) Vibration may increase pain threshold\

2) May increase blood flow

3) Induce relaxation of stretched muscle

4) May help override stretch reflex

5) Vibration may alleviate pain sensation

Anyway I found the whole thing fascinating reading and thought I would share it with people. Has anyone heard much about this before? I was also wondering if Coach Sommer has ever used this technique with his athletes.

Cheers

cccp21
Demus said:
Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of research on flexibility of late and came across an interesting article about the use of vibration combined with stretching.

Article here

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:of ... clnk&gl=au

The Study included Ten young elite male gymnasts (Small sample size) and was assessing their splits proficiency, basically subjects performed a few splits techniques with the aid of a vibration device. The authors concluded a significant improvement in stretching in conjunction with vibration over stretching alone.

For those who don't want to read the whole article they pose a couple of possible reasons:

1) Vibration may increase pain threshold\

2) May increase blood flow

3) Induce relaxation of stretched muscle

4) May help override stretch reflex

5) Vibration may alleviate pain sensation

Anyway I found the whole thing fascinating reading and thought I would share it with people. Has anyone heard much about this before? I was also wondering if Coach Sommer has ever used this technique with his athletes.

Cheers

*********** I don't know about flexibility but static holds increased in duration with vibro massage.

Brandon Green

Nick Van Bockxmeer

I always massage my legs before stretching because I find it gives better results.

If i had access to vibro massage that would be awesome

Joshua Naterman

To clarify, this was performed on a vibrating plate. There is extensive research showing that working on a vibrating surface with bodyweight can produce strength gains equal to traditional weight training. This is the first time I've heard of a vibrating surface being stretched on, and it sounds like a brilliant idea to me! I want one! Incidentally, vibroplate.com has the best and cheapest vibrating plates. They all hold over 1000 lbs, and I think the most expensive one is still under 2000 dollars. Expensive, and beyond my means at the moment, but totally kick ass! I am possibly going to make my own using an old dual can paint shaker.