This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mind the elbows

Started by BenHack, April 23, 2015 · 12 Replies · 408 Views

BenHack

Hi 

 

When Coach says to listen to the elbows during varying stretchs, which part of the elbow are we listening to? I assumed it was the front due to bicep stretching but seems to feel more in the back of the elbow. It's mainly occurring during the shoulder extension exercises and rocking table. It's not really pain as such and  usually goes away a day or 2 after the thoracic bridge work.

 

Cheers

 

Ben

Cole Dano

If said elbow he meant the whole elbow front, back, side, middle etc!

BenHack

Thanks Cole

 

So at the risk of asking a stupid question how do I know if what I'm doing is too much for the elbow? And assuming that it is too much how would I scale back the rocking table (or regular table)? The only other activities I'm doing are Foundation 1 and Handstand 1.

 

Cheers

 

Ben

Cole Dano

Not stupid at all,

 

If you're feeling it for a couple days, that's too much IMO.

 

With those two exercises the solution is simple, just don't go as deep into them. Stop just shy of feeling it in the back of your elbow.

BenHack

OK that seems easy. Are there also some exercises that I can use to condition/prehab the elbows? I've used a rice bucket and the wrist prep/stretches from H1 to fix tennis and golfers elbow previously and have kept them in my routine. Hopefully there's something I'm not currently doing that could help with the other side of the elbow.

 

Cheers

 

Ben

Mark Collins

Our body finds the path of least resistance so for you the shoulders are so tight your elbow is compensating by giving you extra movement. I have the same problem because of too many years bench pressing.

As Cole advised decrease your range of motion and focus on retracting the shoulder blades.

dritar

About TSB3 and 4, why is it that it's much easier to the movement with palms up rather than palms down ?

BenHack

Ok so I did F7 today and when doing Tables I tried to keep my elbows just shy of locked and focused on retracting my shoulder blades and my elbows feel better.

I am wondering if there are some other exercises I can add in to 'bullet proof' my elbows enough to handle these earlier foundation elements. It seems I need to develop my straight arm strength but haven't professed far enough to elements that help develop this.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mark Collins

Keep working your way through Foundation as it will build the elbows like nothing else. I never had forearms or lower biceps until Foundation and that was after years of training in the gym.

Stephen Desrosiers

Quick question with the shoulder extension stretch. While keeping the elbows locked, are we to keep the triceps relaxed or contracted? For example when performing a standing pike stretch in the front split series, coach states to, "keep the medialis tight and contracted." Would this be the same concept for our triceps with the shoulder extension stretch? Or should we keep the arms relaxed with the elbows still locked.

Thanks!

Stephen

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Stephen Desrosiers,

Keep everything tight and contracted while elbows are locked. 

Alessandro Mainente

When performing the shoulder extension you should try to externally rotate the upper arm, and pinch the scapulae together, the long head triceps it is still squeezed here.

Stephen Desrosiers

@Leo Trinidad @Alessandro Mainente Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it!