This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 + kettlebells?

Started by The Hansenator, April 22, 2015 · 8 Replies · 424 Views

The Hansenator

Is there a good way to include kettlebell swings, and perhaps some getups, with F1?

 

Kettlebell swings have been one of the best things that have happened to my back and I feel better if I do them regularly. I did Pavel's Simple and Sinister program with the swings for a while and it has treated me well but now I'd like to get back into F1 without giving up the kettlebells.

 

Thanks.

Joshua Slocum

If it's helping your back, it's worth trying to integrate. What sort of weight/volume have you been working with? Maybe you can do it with a light kettlebell as a way to warm up?

Jeremy Huston

3 options:

1. Do them as part of your warmup.  Make sure you do them at a level that prepares you for F1 and doesn't exhaust you

2. Do them after F1

3. Do them on a separate day as part of your cardio work

Cole Dano

With the recent reorganisation of the SL series, you may find SLPE4-6 just as effective for your back. At least for me they are magic.

 

Otherwise the Jeremy laid out the options. The main thing is not to do so much that it interferes with the Foundation work. Warm up or recovery being a good way to look at it in conduction with Foundation.

The Hansenator

Thanks for the replies.

 

I think warmups would be the best place for some swings. The Simple and Sinister program I'm using prescribes a moderate workload of swings almost every day and doesn't take more than 10 minutes to finish.

Jon Douglas

Personally I think warmup is the best place for them; it can be tempting with kbs to use the heaviest you can handle, try to avoid that temptation for these purposes! :)

Alessandro Mainente

personally I've found that at the end of F4 you will be a "beast" on KB press.

I remember that Coach Sommer said that he used KB for both lower back rehab and planche, KB helps for both.

They are a wonderful tool but learn how to use them correctly it's another world.

Mathew Bunch

I'd recommend using swings as a finisher using S&S template. Personally I am taking a complete break from any KB work. F1 revealed so many mobility issues that I'm focusing on fixing that before doing any heavy external loading.

jfreaksho
Mathew Bunch said:

I'd recommend using swings as a finisher using S&S template. Personally I am taking a complete break from any KB work. F1 revealed so many mobility issues that I'm focusing on fixing that before doing any heavy external loading.

Agreed.  The ones I knew about were much worse than I thought, and there were a number of mobility issues/imbalances I didn't know about.