This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle Planche Form Check

Started by hourjack, April 21, 2015 · 12 Replies · 717 Views

hourjack

So I have been working on F4 lately. Today I had to train straddle planche. Tried doing 5 sets of 10seconds hold and I did the mobility after each set.


Now some of the sets aren't quite 10sec because I'm counting the seconds with a seconds counter audio file, some are near 11sec and I think I came a bit short from 10s on the 2nd set. Can you point out what I should improve regarding the form ( I know it is nowhere near perfect) ? Also if one is to master the straddle planche with F4 how do you keep improving on the planche ? Maybe full planches ?
Thanks.
Alessandro Mainente

Your form needs improvement, you are arching approximately at the half of the hold so basically does not makes sense work on ten seconds, work on the hold you can manage with perfect form.

Your legs are bend, so if you are working on f4 you are worrying to much about achieve the last goal and not build up the necessary mobility. if you are bending there is a lack of gluteus strength in order to actively reach the necessary straddle position.

to be honest, seeing you mobility you need some steps back.

Why there are braces on your elbows?

chuchodani

Alessandro is right, your legs are clearly bent, that is an indicator of lack of mobility. You need to get them straight and point your toes. In the other hand you're not fully protracted and like Alessandro said above working through a set of 10s with form getting inconsistent is just nonsense, it's better to work short holds with perfect form. Taking a step back is just bad for your ego, but is good for your practice. Keep up the hard work ! 

hourjack

@Alessandro, since I got a bad case of distal biceps dendonitis around this time last year I'm wearing those elbow braces whenever I train straight arm elements. Most times I wear them, rarely not.
@chuchodani, where should I step back to ? I don't care about my ego, I just want strength and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to achieve it.

Alessandro Mainente

Braces does not prevent re-injury, prevention and progressive approach yes.

You should step back on foundation 1 and fix legs active mobility.

Alessandro Mainente

ha ha Alessio Puggioni is one of my best student who broken down his ego in favor of intelligent work. I remember when i've destroyed his butt with active legs mobility. the reason of why some Italian guys are doing some wonderful work is basically because i'm spreading coach Sommer's work as much as I can.

hourjack

@Alessandro can you give me the notations of the mobility exercises in F1 you wrote about ?
@chuchodani yeah I know him, I am subscribed to his youtube channel, his work is really clean. Here are the iM exercises you asked for: https://www.sendspace.com/file/70w9y0. I lack the leg mobility, indeed. I think that is root of the problems - I need to arch my lower back to get my legs at shoulder level, because clearly I don't have the needed mobility and strength in my legs and if I arch I lose protraction.
 

Alessandro Mainente

I mean about all the prone legs extension. btw if you lack in the very first exercise. i spent on it basically the biggest part of my time.

chuchodani

Try the prone variations like sPL/PE5 iM onwards and see if you can show mastery of those mobility elements, 

and upload a video for critique. If I were you, I will look for a mobility exercise that I could do with the same form showed by the athlete in the video and build from there.

Coach Sommer
Alessandro Mainente said:

ha ha Alessio Puggioni is one of my best student who broken down his ego in favor of intelligent work. I remember when i've destroyed his butt with active legs mobility. the reason of why some Italian guys are doing some wonderful work is basically because i'm spreading coach Sommer's work as much as I can.

 

You are doing a great job, Alex.   :icon_cool:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

David Salas

Hi, in straddle planche is imperative to make PPT ? Please help me !

Everett Carroll

Hi David,

Yes, it is. If your struggling with that, then I suggest our Foundation One and Handstand One courses. Those cover straddle planche and PPT work in detail.