This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What to do with PMs

Started by Alessandro Mainente, April 21, 2015 · 10 Replies · 55 Views

Alessandro Mainente

Maybe it is a stupid question but i'm receiving numerous private messages for personal advice.

Usually i'm open for give  a tip but i'm not the trainer of someone but an aid for the Community.

What I need to do in respect of GB community?

 

thanks for the attention

Jon Douglas

Same... unless it's a continuation of a thread or someone I know I tend to not answer and direct them to post as appropriate. Partly this is a course access thing too.

Cole Dano

Good question!

 

Often the ones I get begin with something to the effect of "I asked this but wan't able to get a clear answer". Which is why Coach sent out the moderator alert a month or so back. The inmates were taking over the prison, so to speak.

 

- Direct them to the appropriate forum, and then help them get a clear answer, don't let all the guys who think they know drown you out.

 

We will also be making announcement in the near future stating that when in doubt the moderators are the people to listen to.

 

- If they just want private advice there is the paid evaluation option which is falls to Zack. This has sort of fallen by the wayside, but we are looking at resurrecting it.

 

It's already a time consuming job doing the 'basic' moderation, and we don't want you getting too bogged down with behind the scenes work.

 

Of course it's also up to your own discretion, there may be times you want to answer, and that's fine, but don't feel obligated in any way.

Joshua Slocum

When I get a PM asking for workout advice, I generally either link to an existing thread or tell them to post it as a thread (if the question complies with forum rules) so the answer will be public.

Coach Sommer

As it seems we currently have more than a handful of high maintainence troublemakers, I am considering disabling the forum PM function from forum member to forum member and only allowing forum members to PM moderators and staff.  Thoughts?

Alessandro Mainente

Good idea!

Mats Trane

Sounds good

Joshua Slocum

Can PM's be disabled for just troublesome individuals instead of on a site-wide basis? It would seem a shame to remove the feature for everyone when it's just a handful of people who seem to be causing issues. There are legitimate reasons for members to PM each other, some of which I think are things we should encourage:

 

- exchanging contact information 

- planning times/places to meet in person

- resolving disputes/making amends

Coach Sommer

- The problem becomes that we are not aware of an issue until the issue has already been ongoing.

 

- If they want to get together, they could always post in the 'local meetups' section of the community forum.

Mark Collins

It seems that most of the PM's I get are based around specific injuries. I feel this would be better discussed in the public forum for others to benefit.

Cole Dano

A quick update:

 

- Member to Member PM's: will continue as is, but problem members will have the privilege revoked.

 

- Member to Moderator PM's: Discretionary; but the standard response is to have them post in the public forum, everyone will benefit by answering the question there.