Hi there,
What's a good warm up routine to prepare for handstand work?
I do H1 work on its own day, so I'm not warm from an F1 workout or anything.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Cam
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), April 19, 2015 · 10 Replies · 505 Views
Hi there,
What's a good warm up routine to prepare for handstand work?
I do H1 work on its own day, so I'm not warm from an F1 workout or anything.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Cam
personally I do my foundations warm up simply because is warm up. if it is too challenging scale it down. but properly activate all the muscles you will decrease the risk of injury.
So I would say: general warm up with foundations and after specific warm up with H1 element previously completed.
I like the R1 band warmup
I got one of those gyroscope power balls. A minute in each hand is a good warm up for the forearm.
I care more for the lower back and shoulders than regions like the forearms and wrists, which already get enough warm up in the prep series.
I usually just do some dynamic work for all the joints, then simple moves (hops, jumping jacks, arms and shoulders circles, etc) then some Pilates for shoulders and lower back, besides the mobility that you can find at Foundation, like cat and cow, hip circles, etc.
If you have mastered the first 3 PE's in straddle planche, then they might be a good warm up.
Murray Truelove said:I got one of those gyroscope power balls. A minute in each hand is a good warm up for the forearm.
I have actually done the same thing since about the same time I started H1. After that, and after the wrist series, I usually feel ready for handstands. Alternatively, jumping rope for a little bit gets everything warmed up, including the forearms and wrists.
The wrist series is the warmup
Wrists first, naturally. Then I love the HBP PE2-3>im, 5 each direction. Love em. From there 2x dislocates alternated with long hollow pushups, then timed set of cast wall walks or HS wall runs depending, I generally alternate, then into H1, then H2 work ![]()
I was wondering about this for quite some time. I've been working on HS/PE5 a few cycles now and just work my way into it. Here's what I do:
********************************************************************************
Start off with Wrist Stretches and the various Wrist Pushups
then WARMUP(s)
1 set of HS/PE2 w/ iM
Same with PE3 and PE4
Then finally HS/PE5 sets
********************************************************************************
Am I overdoing it with HS/PE5 work? (The above routine is done by itself, no other workout after that for the day (although I still feel compelled to do something else))
I go based on how my joints feel. the wrist series (stretch and pushups) is always there, if I feel like skipping that days work i always do the wrist stuff and some shoulder mobility / body line drills.
I treat the mobility as the must haves and the strength work is secondary to that when doing my handstand workout.
in my mind, i rather spend my time investing in the mobility necesary to hold a nice line than focusing on acumulating time with a sub-par performance, either on the wall or freestanding.
mastery as the standard to move on is also highly suggested. going too far into the series and getting your ass handed to you by the mobility or strength is a good indication that you might be moving a little too quickly from progression to progression or in the wrong part of the cycle.