This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is there a calendar we are suppose to be following? (New to F1)

Started by Sean Burke, April 19, 2015 · 6 Replies · 271 Views

Sean Burke

Hi all, 

 

I am new to Foundations One and have been reading a lot of other post lately seeing phrases like "I'm stuck on week 9" or "I can't get past week 7". 

 

I have looked over a lot of the information and I don't see a specific calendar to follow along with the exercises. I planned on just doing random exercises of my choosing until I can complete one and move on to the next. 

 

I also saw that there is some mention of a Weekly Schedule if you expand "60s Mastery Template" on some of the exercises. But this was kinda confusing and I could use some clarification.

 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks!

 

Alan Tseng

Start by reading here:

https://courses1.gymnasticbodies.com/intro/

Reading that will make it clearer about what exactly the weekly schedule in "60s Mastery Template" means. I'll be using FL/PE1 as an example since this exercise follows the 60s mastery template. Basically, the first time you do the exercise, you'll be starting at week 1, where at this week you'll be doing 3 sets of 12 seconds. Next week you'll be doing 5 sets of 12 seconds, until you reach the 11th week. If you successfully complete 11th week, you'll do a final Deload week (12th week) then move on to the next progression, which in this case is FL/PE2.

Not all exercise follows the 60s template. Incline pushups (HBP/PE1) for example follows the 15r mastery template.

Some exercises you'll have an easier time with, others a harder time. That's why its recommended to test for mastery the 1st time you do them (which is basically meeting the standard for 11th week.). Depending on well how you do, you'll start at week 1 (nowhere close to meeting it), week 5, or week 9 (close to meeting it.)

Again, read the intro articles, that should've already explained to you about all these

Sean Burke

Thanks Alan, that really cleared things up. :) 

 

 

One more question for you, I saw that Cory mentioned not to rest in between sets. Could you verify this? 

 

In all my exercise training, I've always been told to take a 30-90 second break between sets. So this is hard for me to swallow.

 

Thanks again! 

Romulo

In order to master the exercise and be able to pass to the next one, you should be able to perform the sets without any rest. The (active) rest is the mobility exercise that accompanies the strength element. I think you can take a short break between different exercises though (maybe enough time just to drink water or set the next one).

 

We should be able to build work capacity until we can perform the 7 fundamental exercises. At the end, that is going to be the "warm up" routine for ring work.

Alan Tseng
Sean Burke said:

Thanks Alan, that really cleared things up. :)

One more question for you, I saw that Cory mentioned not to rest in between sets. Could you verify this?

In all my exercise training, I've always been told to take a 30-90 second break between sets. So this is hard for me to swallow.

Thanks again!

Verification would've been in the intro link I mentioned in my first post, Specific section here:

https://courses1.gymnasticbodies.com/f-start/

The only rest you get in-between sets is the integrated mobility. Otherwise doesn't count as mastery. FL/PE1 for example, you do hollow holds then immediately catcows then immediately back to hollow holds

Jon Douglas

'Just' 5x5 takes on a whole new meaning when your 'rest' is often harder than the strength exercise itself :)

Awesssss

I've actually wondered about the rest, whether to always perform the prescribed reps/holds or less?

 

Also, Sometimes I think we get too much rest. Because it takes some time to get in the mobility position and then some mobility work are quite long.

 

As an example, the RC first Pe's have like 60 seconds of stretching. These stretched don't much at all for me since my mobiility is more advanced than the requirement for Foundation one.

 

That's 60 seconds of rest plus the seconds it takes to get in position. Idk.. seem a lot. I have been skipping the stretches and did 30s of passive rest lately.