This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sternum Pain

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, April 17, 2015 · 7 Replies · 135 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, since going it alone at the end of last year for a brief spell (I've since come back to the light and do F7 twice a week and H1 once a week on a M-W-F split), I've had some sternum pain from going too deep in dips and back lever progressions. Yes, I know I overdid it on my joints' mobility and what I'm looking for is any stretches or movement patterns that might help alleviate the stress and tension I feel in this area. I'm currently working on HBP/PE2 (as I found that my scapula depression and protraction wasn't good enough to go on to HBP/PE3), as well as SPL/PE1 with scapula pushups.

 

What I intend by noting that is too say that the stress on my sternum isn't really excessive and it wasn't these exercises that initially strained my sternum. I can still do them pain-free, however throughout the day and upon waking up my sternum area and middle chest is tight. Any insights would be appreciated. I've tried the reverse cat and shoulder flexion exercises from the TBs, as well as some dead hang position on a straight bar, they haven't effectively alleviated the area of concern though. It's an on-going dialogue with my joints and muscles so any added insights are appreciated.

 

Thanks.

chuchodani

I'm in the same position as you, at the beginning of 2014 I start to feel some pressure in the middle of the chest through working on rings supports and back lever,obviously I stop doing those exercises, and it stills bothering me today. I can't do dipping motions without feeling that pressure, I just work around it and do things that not cause discomfort. I went to various doctors and one physio they took me X-rays and it doesn't show nothing. At monday I'm going to the "best sport doctor" of my city, let's see what he can do. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Let me know what comes up. I know that 'cracking' the sternum alleviates the pressure, however, the thought of cracking my sternum brings images of self-induced CPR measures (i.e. puncturing my heart or lung or something) so I tend to not want to do that. I'm not sure what stretches alleviate middle chest soreness or stiffness since most people focus on the Pec Major and Minor. Anyways, cheers for the feedback.

strme

i have same problem over two months. i had sternum problem before because no warm up and i went to hard session on bars. than nothing nothing and after 6months again but different pain. i feel it at dips only.  it was at regular push ups also but now only at dips. funny ha?  good luck guys.

Pafke

As far as i know X-ray cant show if it is tendinosis or tendon damage, it can only show if tendon is saparated from bone by picturing a piece of calcium (bone) in place where tendon was. Like this - http://prntscr.com/6uxrtq

Ultrasound or MRI can show tandinosis or tendon damages.

chuchodani
Paf said:

As far as i know X-ray cant show if it is tendinosis or tendon damage, it can only show if tendon is saparated from bone by picturing a piece of calcium (bone) in place where tendon was. Like this - http://prntscr.com/6uxrtq

Ultrasound or MRI can show tandinosis or tendon damages.

Yes, I think the new doctor would do a MRI of my sternum.

strme

what doctor you think can do with it?

chuchodani
strme said:

what doctor you think can do with it?

I really don't know, but maybe due to he's a "professional" he knows something that I don't. But I've tried everything, rest for long periods of time, building from scratch, avoiding dipping and uncomfortable motions for really long time, and it stills there despite having good mobility that match my strength ratio.