This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting dislocates

Started by Luke Harris, April 17, 2015 · 12 Replies · 760 Views

Luke Harris

With the widest grip possible I can't grip the bar with my fingers, only my thumb can grip it. All other fingers come off. Also, I can't get my shoulders straight and flat when I am all the way over my back. 

 

Is there some mobility exercises that I can do to improve on this? Any tips would be appreciated. 

Mats Trane
Luke Harris said:

With the widest grip possible I can't grip the bar with my fingers, only my thumb can grip it. All other fingers come off. Also, I can't get my shoulders straight and flat when I am all the way over my back. 

 

Is there some mobility exercises that I can do to improve on this? Any tips would be appreciated. 

 

Which iM are we talking about? iM 5? Are you sure that the palms of your hands is facing downwards?

How wide is the dowel?

Jon Douglas

If that's genuinely light, then yes, it will gradually become more accesible for you. Just keep working it. There are huge, subtle benefits in making these work :)

sean

I'm in the same boat, after hearing Coach's suggestion to use as wide a grip as can to not grind or click makes me just barely clear my head and barely holding on. I don't grind but I still do get some clunking in the joint on one side with no pain. The only way to stop this for me is to use a rubber band so I can drop the hands further but not sure i would benefit much going to that extreme? I love these tho for shoulder warm ups and I feel it real good in my upper back and traps which I wasn't expecting, in a good way.

Alessandro Mainente

Can I see both im1 and 2 please?

sean
Alessandro Mainente said:

Can I see both im1 and 2 please?

Not sure if directed at me but I should mention that I add this to my stretching routine cause I like how they make my shoulders feel. I don't use much weight to lower risk of injury, but I'm not actually at that iM yet.

Alessandro Mainente

No, this is for the first person who posted on this thread.

Coach Sommer
Luke Harris said:

... With the widest grip possible I can't grip the bar with my fingers, only my thumb can grip it. All other fingers come off ...

 

Use a longer bar.  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

okaxmasato

This is a question relating to HS/PE7>iM

 

I've been doing all of my dislocate exercises using a weighted bar and have progressively been moving my hands as to shorten the distance. And each time I reach the new mobility exercise, I then reset my grip to widen it and again shorten it as I progress through the routine.

 

Today I am on week 8 and starting my de-loading period. I went through the routine as usual and cut everything in half (strength related), but today for some reason my left shoulder started having a tingling sensation every time I went from inlocate to dislocate and vice-versa. I was fine doing the strength portion of the HS but decided to finish anyways but instead of doing 4 reps of the shoulder dislocates, I did only 2.

 

I would like to know if the reason I am having this issue is due to me exceeding the weight my shoulder tendons can handle or if I was having an off day today. I'm worried that it might be the first issue so I might avoid the weighted bar if necessary and use a broom stick.

 

I appreciate any input and thank you for taking the time in reading this.

 

*To clarify, I've been using a weighted bar since HS/PE3

Alessandro Mainente

On every single IM of hs you need to erase the weight and the hands distance, the amount of carryover from the previous exercises will come out with the time. push to hard immediately is the wrong approach.

okaxmasato
Alessandro Mainente said:

On every single IM of hs you need to erase the weight and the hands distance, the amount of carryover from the previous exercises will come out with the time. push to hard immediately is the wrong approach.

That's what I feared, thanks a lot for your input and I'll go back to square one in terms of weight (broom stick) and go from there.

okaxmasato
Alessandro Mainente said:

On every single IM of hs you need to erase the weight and the hands distance, the amount of carryover from the previous exercises will come out with the time. push to hard immediately is the wrong approach.

Follow up on what is happening: As you had said, the amount of carryover did increase and that numbing sensation led to a slight injury in my shoulder. It is nothing major but I know that I need to layoff and let it heal so that I will not damage it further. What would you recommend as a healing routine to go from rehabilitation back on track to my HS/PE7? 

 

Thank you in advance for any advice.

sean

I often see recommendations to back down to a previous PE/iM for a few cycles, as has been the case with my issues with a shoulder injury. Bonus is that you keep the hard earned muscular strength and tendon conditioning at least. When I've done this I haven't found it that difficult to move back up to harder PEs when ready. Failing that watch for the pros advice, best of luck.