Hip flexor stretch - low lunge , hiw should I keep torso?

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, April 17, 2015 · 5 Replies · 3,411 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all!

I was looking on the web for a hip flexor stretch, and I found mainly two poses.

They look similar , but the torso is kept differently.

This is the first one.

post-10847-14292578342_thumb.jpg

I would say torso is kept vertical with APT as well.

This is the second type.

post-10847-142925794476_thumb.jpg

Here the torso is forward, towards the knee.

Now my goal is to stretch the psoas: I would say both of them are useful for that, correct me if I'm wrong. But is there one better than the other? Or do you simply suggest me to practice both of them? My fear is that one of them is wrong for my goal.

Thank you!

Awesssss

In order to effectively stretch the hip flexors always engage in PPT. This will maximize hip flexor stretch.

 

I prefer the first picture but you can do both and see where you feel the most.

Mats Trane

Torso up, look proud.

dmcmanam

You are looking for a hip flexor stretch to stretch the psoas...I always get the feeling someone out there keeps telling people their psoas is tight which I tend to associate with over-engaging the hip flexors when trying to lift your legs. The bottom stretch can be useful but I would always place my elbows on the ground not my hands, great for countering too much sitting.  Do the top stretch facing a mirror and pay close attention to your alignment, also consider doing the top stretch with your back knee against a wall.  

Alessandro Di Sanzo

I tried both of them, and I feel much more stretch in the inner thigh of the back leg with the first pose. Is it there where I should feel the stretch? Or should I feel even somewhere in the bent leg put forward?

Cole Dano

Lunge stretch is all about the back leg. More specifically the front of the back leg, and psoas, which may feel like inner thigh.