This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS Alignment Check

Started by ajgregory, April 16, 2015 · 7 Replies · 248 Views

ajgregory

Hi everyone, I'm currently working on SE2 (blending into SE3) and was hoping someone could offer some feedback on my current alignment. I'm usually able to hold this position between 5-15s.

If I were to critique this I'd say toes aren't pointed, a little more shoulder flexion could be demonstrated, head should be tucked in a little more. That's probably the tip of the iceberg though haha.

I'm trying to get my alignment as good as I can before moving on, but I'm not sure I'm there yet!

Cheers

Andy

post-3463-0-53534300-1429207850_thumb.jp

Micawberian

I think would help a little more if you take a picture with you in the center because it looks like your hips are rotating. I'm not sure due to picture angle though.

 

otherwise, besides what you already said, more ribs in.

Alessandro Mainente

It seems that you need more shoulders mobility, can I see you IM 7?

Joshua Slocum

To tell if your shoulder angle is good enough, draw a line from your wrist to your shoulder. This line should go through your hips and your feet. If it goes behind you, then you need more shoulder flexion.

Using this metric, you need more open shoulders.

The slight arch of your back and the way your ribs stick out a little is another sign.

ajgregory

Thanks guys- feedback appreciated (and humbling as always  :P) 

 

I think I have the ability to demonstrate enough shoulder flexion, but when I try to get my shoulders over my wrists my natural reaction is to close the shoulder angle down a bit. Too many crappy handstand attempts in the past I'm guessing...

 

Here's another photo with Joshua's line - ignoring the fact my legs didn't make it together properly :facepalm:, flexion is definitely better , but I think still not quite enough (line not going right through the centre of the hips). This position feels pretty weird, like my hips are way out behind me and my shoulders are over flexed (clearly not true). I find balancing in this position tough, but I guess time will sort it out. Am I on the right path?

 

I realise this photo isn't completely side on again- I should be able to set that up over the weekend.

 

Thanks
Andy

post-3463-0-03633900-1429281224_thumb.jp

ajgregory

Here's another attempt, with the camera more side-on and shirtless so you can see what's actually happening. Once again I didn't pull my left leg far enough to align with the right, or point the toes, but right now it's shoulder flexion I'm concentrating on (one thing at a time). Annoyingly my skin tone also seems to match my decor so I don't stand out very well...

 

It doesn't look like my back is arching now, though I think my shoulders could still be a little more open.Thoughts?

 

 

Thanks again

Andrew

post-3463-0-94066700-1429708614_thumb.jp

Alessandro Mainente

Now it is better, try to shot a pic a little bit far from you, also check out your quads tightness, seems that you have some hips rotation.

ajgregory

Thanks Allesandro- what am I looking for when taking a picture taken further away?

Think I'm going to have to drop back to PE12 all the same even though alignment is looking better for this SE- I now see that previous "mastery" will have been with less than complete flexion.