This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planche lean protraction requested for mastery

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, April 16, 2015 · 17 Replies · 513 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all!

If you check this form of planche lean, if I am able to hold this form for the entire sets could I move on?

post-10847-142919025769_thumb.png

Or do you think that protraction is still not sufficient?

From this side view it looks like back curve line is broken at scapula level... Is it be a visible sign that lack of protraction has occurred?

I need to clarify this stuff, in order to comprehend well how to work always with the best quality!

Thank you all!

Joshua Slocum

Your scapula is still slightly above the rest of your back. At full protraction, there should be no "scapular bump" visible.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Joshua Slocum said:

Your scapula is still slightly above the rest of your back. At full protraction, there should be no "scapular bump" visible.

post-10847-142919539829_thumb.png.

I see! Good to know!

Joshua, do you find this form better? if I am able to hold it for sentire sets can I consider mastered this element? Besides leaning is OK, or should I lean a bit more before move to sPL/PE6?

Thank you!

Joshua Slocum

That looks much better. I'd consider that acceptable protraction for mastery. 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Joshua Slocum said:

That looks much better. I'd consider that acceptable protraction for mastery.

Thank you Joshua! When I will be ready I'll post my form! [emoji4]
Alexander Egebak

Looks really good, and a nice lean too!

korija

not enough protraction, but you should really take the pic without the shirt on! i cant see if you are retracted enough

Helgi

Jumping in on this.

 

Is my "scapular bump" too large for this amount of lean?KENJ7LT.jpg

Joshua Slocum

As I said before, at full protraction, there should be no "scapular bump" visible. You need more protraction. 

Helgi

Thanks!

 

Would this work or should the lower back not lift this high? I realized that the previous picture was from late during a hold, so my protraction had been reduced somewhat. However, when I keep the protraction that high, most of my back and hips seem to lie a little bit higher.

 

fysJ3Mc.jpg

Joshua Slocum

Your back needs to be a bit straighter, and you still need more protraction. 

 

Can you post a video of your scap shrugs?

Joshua Slocum

The scap shrugs look like you're reaching adequate protraction, though your back is still a more rounded than I'd consider ideal. Might be a good idea to go back and re-work them without the back rounding, or at least toss them in your warmup to iron out the form. 

 

One thing you might try doing to get into the planche lean: do a scap shrug with as much ROM as you can manage. At the top of the shrug lean forward while maintaining protraction. 

Helgi
Joshua Slocum said:

The scap shrugs look like you're reaching adequate protraction, though your back is still a more rounded than I'd consider ideal. Might be a good idea to go back and re-work them without the back rounding, or at least toss them in your warmup to iron out the form. 

 

One thing you might try doing to get into the planche lean: do a scap shrug with as much ROM as you can manage. At the top of the shrug lean forward while maintaining protraction. 

I'll toss them into my warm up, I hadn't been doing them lately so I guess that could be the reason.

 

The tip about starting off into a scap shrug before leaning forward is also nice!

 

Thanks again!

zlobr
Joshua Slocum said:

The scap shrugs look like you're reaching adequate protraction

 

 

Hey Josh, can I ask you?

In "F1 wiki" is position of the scapula during the scapula shrugs described like this:

 

"sPL/PE1 : depressed and protracted at the top ; depressed and retracted at the bottom"

 

Do you think Helgi´s scapula depression in the video is sufficient? Because when I do it this way, my ROM is greater compared to the one, when I try to depress my scapulas really hard. 

 

Sorry for OT :-)

Joshua Slocum

He could use more depression in the planche lean. But protraction is more important than depression, so it should be worked on first in this case. 

 

For the scap shrugs, I'm not actually sure the wiki is accurate on that point, which is why "Find Citations" is still on the todo list :) Certainly the scaps should not be elevated, but the athlete in the course video looks like his are neutral rather than depressed.  

Murray Truelove

I've had a similar experience. I was making great progress on my lean, very gradually over weeks getting it to what I thought necessary for mastery.

You can imagine my surprise when I filmed myself for a form check and witnessed my protraction disappear as I went into the lean.

So I've regressed to a very modest lean and now film every set. It very easy to be mistaken with these.

Cole Dano
"sPL/PE1 : depressed and protracted at the top ; depressed and retracted at the bottom"

 

 

There is a natural movement of the scaps in the vertical plane when doing the shrugs.

 

Scaps ideally will touch at the bottom and you already know what to do at the top.

 

Let the scaps rise just enough to accomplish this, but don't hug your ears.