This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planche Lean and Feet

Started by Alan Tseng, April 16, 2015 · 7 Replies · 208 Views

Alan Tseng

I feel like when I wear shoes, it is significantly easier than doing it bare feet with a slider underneath. Is that cheating?

vannybute

i think so

Gillham

I agree and yes. The shoes give you more stability. But since eventually our feet will be off the ground in the straddle planche its best to practice as the video shows.

Cole Dano

Yes it's cheating on PLL. The slider is there for a reason. :)

Awesssss

Do you have to have a slider? What about just socks?

Sensei JP

For the regular planche leans I put my feet inside a frisbee, which acted like a slider.  The lid of a tupperware container would also work, or something similar.

 

The instability makes a pretty big difference.  When I work out at my dojo, I have a nice solid base to place my feet for sPL PE6, the elevated lean.  At home, I make due with an office chair.  The chair is one of those models that can roll around and swivel.  At home, I have significantly less lean because I have to fight not only to keep myself up, but to keep the chair from rolling or swiveling.  Indeed, the first signs of swiveling usually tells me my form is starting to break, so it's an early warning system.  The bonus is that when I go back to my dojo and train on the solid surface, it feels so much easier.

Alexander Egebak

Slippery floor and bare feet works fine for me. The difference between a furniture slider and bare feet/slippery floor in terms of frictional force is not that big.

 

The main point is that you are supposed to be able to press from a straight arm plank to planche lean and back with little effort in moving feet without losing form.

 

The rest are just details. I suppose you could lean a little bit more for mastery to compensate for the slippery factor but that is hair splitting.

Cole Dano
Hollow Man said:

Do you have to have a slider? What about just socks?

 

 

Anything that will allow your feet to slide freely will work. Socks on a hard floor are a great option.