This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HIIT question

Started by vannybute, April 16, 2015 · 4 Replies · 148 Views

vannybute

My 11 year old son wants to start HIIT (he found this 8 week program that seems quite good) for cardio. I was wondering what exercises would be suitable at this point. Sprinting, jump rope?

Dylan Robertson

Just focus on building up basic cardio. You don't need to do anything special. Start out with 1-1.5 milesx3 times a week and build up about 10% mileage (per week, sometimes less) from there. On off days you can do Jump Rope or Swimming or some other cardio.

vannybute

okay. Can he do HIIT as well? or no

Dylan Robertson

Yes, Once h builds a base of conditioning for the muscles, hear and tendons, etc. Get him up to running 3-4 3mile runs a week, and Jumping rope for 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week and then he should be ready to go for harder stuff.

vannybute

I think I'll get him on C25K. His running used to be pretty good but after a lack of practice he needs to get back in running shape :)