The two split series are designed to improve our splits, but never actually have us perform the splits. How often and how long should we spend actually attempting our front or middle splits? I assume more of a low intensity limbering, but I'm not sure. Should I do it daily? A couple of times a week? 30 second hold? 2 minute hold? Are the series enough in themselves with no need to actually do the splits?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Split practice
Started by Kelly Gage, April 15, 2015 · 7 Replies · 210 Views
I don't understand.
The next to last exercise in FSS is for all intents and purposes a front split if you do it perfectly.
The same thing can be said for many exercises in MSS. If you do them perfectly you'll be in middle split (and in some cases moving in and out of middle split).
I guess I was wondering if the last couple of exercises in front splits "counted" and moving in and out on the middle splits was enough... and I see Coach likes your answer. Just making sure I wasn't supposed to be doing a middle split or front split at other times.
I think it's ok to do some low intensity stuff and limbering but for serious stretching its recommended just to do the series once a week.
I was actually going through the same thought exercise.
I was wondering when you actually get to doing FS. I was about 6-8 inches off the ground before starting FSS. Did it weekly for about 2 months without ever trying to see where my FS was.
Turns out that while the penultimate FSS exercise is indeed FS and I can't get to where Kira is in the video, I tried doing
FS and was able to go down flat - i.e. both back quad and front hamstring on the ground. No doubt there's a nuance I'm not catching on to, but I think FS might actually be easier than the penultimate exercise.
All in all though, I must say I never expected this much progress this quickly.
That is some solid programming...
Front split is easier than the penultimate exercise.
I agree. What makes it so? I'm curious to understand the mechanics...
Two things
One is the bent leg version forces the hips to be very square and the back leg to be fully turned under, whereas regular splits allow a lot more wiggle room.
The second is that the bending of the knee hits the quads much more.