This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weighted Leg work question

Started by vannybute, April 15, 2015 · 8 Replies · 330 Views

vannybute

Will there come a point in F series where there is weighted work of any sort (like real weight training)? If so, will there be any alternatives? I don't think my son will be old enough or developed enough to train with weights for a while (at least 5 years). What will he have to do?

 

(We're simply curious, he's dedicated to current training, but wondering what hapens later)

Cole Dano

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Jeremy Huston

1.  Don't underestimate the benefits of single leg work.  Strength-wise it's (roughly) equivalent to a squat with bodyweight.  Plus it has mobility and balance components that weighted squats don't have.

2.  If done right (slowly, cautiously, progressively, with proper form), there's no reason a teen can't train with weights.

 

But Cole hit it on the head -- cross that bridge when we get to it.

jfreaksho
Jeremy Huston said:

1.  Don't underestimate the benefits of single leg work.  Strength-wise it's (roughly) equivalent to a squat with bodyweight.  Plus it has mobility and balance components that weighted squats don't have.

2.  If done right (slowly, cautiously, progressively, with proper form), there's no reason a teen can't train with weights.

 

But Cole hit it on the head -- cross that bridge when we get to it.

I have to disagree with you on your first point: A barbell squat with bodyweight in iron is significantly easier than a pistol squat for most people.

~Atticus
jfreaksho said:

I have to disagree with you on your first point: A barbell squat with bodyweight in iron is significantly easier than a pistol squat for most people.

 

I think most of us here, including Jeremy, are aware of that. He was just trying to articulate the benefits of unweighted leg routines IMHO.

chuchodani
Jeremy Huston said:

1.  Don't underestimate the benefits of single leg work.  

 

 

I support the above commentary. I can do a single leg squat, and without direct training it I'm able to front squat 70kg at 64kg BW for 1 rep. 

Keilani Gutierrez

same here with the single leg work. i'm seeing a lot of improvement especially since starting F2, especially with the hamstring department :)

i have a 320lb DL and 215lb Back Squat for free. there's something in single leg work that is amazing.

kingzlo

I'm on second level of the Single Leg Squats (Cossack Squat SLS/PE2) with combo Mobility of Twisting Squats.  At the very beginning I was worried about defining my legs without weights, yet yesterday, as I lifted up my shorts, I simply flexed my left leg at first and noticed that the upper portion was getting more defined.  The teardrop close to the knees were developing a while back (I noticed that when I was doing Straddle Hollow Body Rock (FL/PE4) where I have to keep my knees locked as I'm rocking my body for core strength.  

 

 

So as Cole Dano mentioned:

Cole Dano said:

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

That is in the literal sense.  Take your time and enjoy the journey.  

 

Real talk, in the beginning I was frustrated at first with this type of training, but it IS paying off.  This is anatomy type of training.

Destiny

^Yup the F series has definitely helped bring out my teardrop in my quad, however I'm pretty excited for F4 for legs. I feel like my legs and glutes still need more stimulation. I should probably actually start doing SLS 3x a week (every workout session). My biggest issue atm is ankle flexibility on my right leg.