This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE1 Counting and Weight

Started by Dylan Robertson, April 14, 2015 · 14 Replies · 469 Views

Dylan Robertson

How should the reps be counted on this exercise?

A. Left+Right=1

B. Left+Right=2

Also, is there any benefit in going up to 10/15lbs on this exercise,

Rayne-William

Each side is one rep. (IE: Center to the left and back to center is one rep)

 

Yes, there is a benefit to going up to 10/15lb (about 4.5kg/6.8kg). That benefit is a stronger core and if you are savvy enough you can use the strength of your core to generate greater amounts of torque.

 

If you wish to gain the most out of the exercise you have to barely hold onto the weight in your hands and twist using just your core muscles.

Dylan Robertson

I'm capable of mastery on this exercise then! I'm gonna work it up to 15lbs with 5x30 (15 reps each side), th I'll keepmit in my warmup with 1x30 reps each side (60 total) @ 15lbs. Time to start Week 9 with 8lbs now.

Krel

Is it the same with SL/PE5 ? Each side is 1r or left + right = 1r ?

~Atticus
Rayne-William said:

Each side is one rep. (IE: Center to the left and back to center is one rep)

 

Yes, there is a benefit to going up to 10/15lb (about 4.5kg/6.8kg). That benefit is a stronger core and if you are savvy enough you can use the strength of your core to generate greater amounts of torque.

 

If you wish to gain the most out of the exercise you have to barely hold onto the weight in your hands and twist using just your core muscles.

 

I started with 5 lbs, and it felt easy and I could have hit mastery right off the bat.

 

10 lbs was what I decided to use, as this required me to develop core strength for a couple of weeks. In fact, I just hit mastery of russian twists today, @ 10 lbs.

 

I recommend that you choose a weight that is a little bit of a challenge (based on your strength levels) and try to work on this until you master it.

 

My obliques have developed considerably since I decided to up the weight to 10 lbs. I might use 15 lbs as a warm up, I'll try that and see how it works.

kingzlo

Wait a minute.  I was going 1 left / 1 right, total to 1 rep; 2 / 2; 3 / 3; 4 / 4; etc.  If I'm wrong, then I went Mastery @ 36 reps.  Then again, looking at the deload @ Block 2 (5by9) and Block 3 (5by15), that would mean 1/1 2/2 3/3 (left/right or right/left)... respectively.  I believe I read up on another forum talking about this issue with numbers, but since this is recent and weekend is hear, I'll wait to see what other have to say.  I know I'll be continuing @ Block 3 (4by24) on Monday though.

Cole Dano

On deload weeks do one extra rep to even out both sides. :) This is an artefact from the charts, as they are set up for unilateral exercises, I've been waiting a long time for someone to mention it, give that man a prize.

Krel
Krel said:

Is it the same with SL/PE5 ? Each side is 1r or left + right = 1r ?

Bump

kingzlo
Cole Dano said:

On deload weeks do one extra rep to even out both sides. :) This is an artefact from the charts, as they are set up for unilateral exercises, I've been waiting a long time for someone to mention it, give that man a prize.

Ok, that means I've mastered it then.  Looking forward to SL/PE2 as part of F7 when I get up.  Writing my notes overall for the new mini cycle as I write this. 

Cole Dano
Krel said:

Is it the same with SL/PE5 ? Each side is 1r or left + right = 1r ?

 

Yes count one rep per side, r + l = 2

Dylan Robertson
Cole Dano said:

Yes count one rep per side, r + l = 2

So it is Option B?

Cole Dano

Come on guys, do I need to make a feature length motion picture to explain it?

 

It's OPTION B!

vinca_minor
Cole Dano said:

Come on guys, do I need to make a feature length motion picture to explain it?

 

I think you know the answer to that.

Dylan Robertson
vinca_minor said:

I think you know the answer to that.

"Cole Dano explains SL/PE1 Counting"

traweaver

This should really be written into the program notes under the video demo.  I have been doing way too many reps.  no wonder my low back was working overtime!!!