This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE1 Form Check (Hinge Rows)

Started by Dylan Robertson, April 13, 2015 · 23 Replies · 219 Views

Dylan Robertson

Since today was the day after testing and I didn't get to do Hinge Rows yesterday (didn't bring rings to the gym), I wanted to get my form checked. Thx

Edit; Apparently adding file for a video doesn't work? Anyone know how to upload a video? (I have an Ipas that I use, do I need to use the computer?)

Edit 2: Video is linked down below in the comments. Thanks GenericGymnast for the help.

vannybute

vid.me is good.

Dylan Robertson

What's that

vannybute

It's a website. You can upload without an account, and give your video a super generic random name with some random number generator if you want to hide it :)

Dylan Robertson

How do I link the video? Copy the url?

vannybute

Yeah.... copy paste :)

vannybute

I just got the starter pack, so I'm not too experienced. But it looks pretty good to me.

Dylan Robertson

Thanks, anybody else? How much did you end up getting?

vannybute

Only starter pack. He also wanted to take part in an online math class as well. Additionally, we wanted to spend less money because we recently had a bad leak in the house 

vannybute

But even the starter pack is AMAZING. It's like a gold mine of gymnastics information.

Remarkable work you've done Coach Sommer :)

Dylan Robertson

I'm saving up for H1, I can't wait to get it!

vannybute

Yup. As I said, you could start with Antranik's tutorial. Comparing it to H1, it's quite good for a free online tutorial. start that and follow similar programming as F1, you might be ahead by the time you get H1.

Dylan Robertson

I have it in my reading list, I glanced over it at first but I'll go back and read it in depth this week.

vannybute

Yup. I'll tell you if I find something else as well.

Good luck!

btw, where are you with F1? Just curious.

Dylan Robertson

Just started yesterday! The majority of the stuff I'm on Week 9 though. (Contrary to popular belief, I find Deck Squats pretty easy!)

FL/PE1 (Bent Hollow Body Hold)- Week 5 (4x24s) (Cat-Cow)

sPL/PE1 (Scap Shrugs/Push-Ups)- Week 9 (4x12r) (Swivel Hips)

HBP/PE1* (Incline Push-Ups)- Week 9 (4x12r) (German Arm Swings)

RC/PE1 (Hinge Rows)- Week 5 (4x6r) (One arm Lat Lean)

MN/PE1 (Tuck Uos)- Week 9 (4x12r) (Stiff Leg Windmills)

SL/PE1** (Seated Russian Twists)- Week 5/9 (4x12r or 4x24r) (Hip Circles)

SLS/PE1 (Deck Squats)- Week 9 (4x12r) (Skiers)

*(I can do the push-ups easy and german arm swings are easy, but I want to do the work for art least 3 Weeks just to make sure)

** (I did 15 each side s I don't know if that's the 5x30 or 5x15, IDK how to count these) Depedning upon counted I either did mastery of am at week 5).

Pafke

Looks same as guy on course video does. :)

Dylan Robertson

So the little hole (by my shoulders) in the video is fine?

vannybute

Nice!

Giovanni Garcea

Nicely done! Can you already do the swivel hips without raising the glutes from the floor? That is a tough one for me and I understand it is traditionally the most difficult iM to pass for PE1...

Dylan Robertson

Nope. Swivel Hips sucks. Anybody have any tips on how to get better, and does the butt never come off the floor? Do the knees have to touch the ground?

Giovanni Garcea

One of the focus point says "Keep the glutes on the ground at all times.", so that's official and we can't just act like we didn't read it ;-(

In the video the athlete's knees don't touch the ground but they get pretty close, so that would be the criteria. There's a huge thread (title is something like "finally conquered swivel hips") that is definitely worth reading.

 

I started foundation three weeks ago, as a young 40 years old dude, and my difficult exercises are, swivel hips, deck squats (I had to regress to use a folded mat for support) and finding a good form on rc/pe1, that is why I'm so impressed by your form on this last exercise.

 

Also, like you I decided to start no further than week 9 for alle exercises, even the ones I tought I could just do on the first day, and I'm glad I did, because speding more time allowed me to really study the form and compare it with the course videos and the forum tips, to make sure I wasn't just moving ahead with a less than acceptable form.

Dylan Robertson

Well before I started Foundation, I would do pull-ups and rows to offset the amount of push ups I have to do for Soccer and BJJ. I think that helped. (I also had extending out to straddle Front Lever, L-Sit (6x10s), and a tuck planche (10x6)) I was also doing Shoulder Dislocates (normal and Dorsal, 1x10r each grip) anywhere from 2-4 times a week. But now, my progress will be much more structured and I get more mobility drills to make me happy!