This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Team, film your workouts. Seriously

Started by Oompa2, April 13, 2015 · 7 Replies · 487 Views

Oompa2

G'day all,

 

Bottom Line Up Front - Video at least one of your workouts per week, otherwise you risk wasting time.

 

I wanted to quickly share another insightful moment. I tested for mastery last week on Hollow Body Rocks and took video footage of my last set. It was awful. Feet high in the air and body too compressed. How had this happened? My form was pretty good to begin with and my Hollow Body Holds were good... It had happened because I failed to continually monitor my progress.

 

This prompted me to video my Elevated Planche Leans which, lo and behold, were also bad (not enough protraction). 

 

I have now regressed to Planche Leans (which clearly were not good enough as my protraction and lean combination are nowhere near mastery) and gone back to the first micro-cycle of Hollow Body Rocks AND I will be filming at least one set every week. 

 

You can get a really good quality video camera from SJCAM at really competative prices. Does everything a GoPro does but at a fraction of the cost. Or buy some cheap 'spider leg' style mounts for your phone... whatever works.

http://www.sjcam.com/

 

Please, if you are not already doing so, film your work regularly. I know this is regurgitated advice (again, thanks Coach) yet I didn't listen and have suffered as a result by wasting several weeks.

 

- Callum

vannybute

I think you guys should do this. But make sure to delete the videos from your device after posting them on cloud, or something. You will otherwise waste a LOT of space (I have experience :) ).

Gavin S

Completely agree. Filming workouts is one of the most beneficial things you can do in your training routine. It's the best feedback loop you have, barring a full time coach.

Jon Douglas

Yeah, makes a big difference :)

Samin Ishtiaq

It's good advice, Oopma2. I only manage to do it every 3rd or 4th week. When I do look at them, it's really beneficial. But the act of finding my phone, setting up so that it doesn't fall over, moving it to another place where it doesn't fall over, ... is still a hassle. 

 

I should do my work in a gym that has 24/7 video recording broadcast on the internet :-)

Samin

Oompa2
Samin Ishtiaq said:

I should do my work in a gym that has 24/7 video recording broadcast on the internet :-)

Samin

 

Can you imagine the vanity? [shudders]

Pafke

Filming yourself is ok and works fine but mirrors next to you works much better, you can see what your doing and you can fix your form immediately if your doing it wrong. :)