This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Standing Weighted Pike Hang

Started by Samin Ishtiaq, April 13, 2015 · 1 Replies · 118 Views

Samin Ishtiaq

Is this exercise to stretch the back or the hamstrings? 

 

I ask because I'm unsure about the weight distribution on my feet: 

- should I shift my weight on to the balls (front) of my feet?

- Or should I try and keep my weight spread evenly on my feet?

 

Answers appreciated! 

Samin

Michael Taylor

Samin,

It will stretch both to a greater or lesser degree depending on where you are tight.

If you have progressed through Jefferson Curls, most people feel it in the hamstrings.

I would keep weight balanced across the feet for stability as you don't want the external weight to pull you out of position. I cue this and similar stretches by focusing on 'pushing the kneecaps back'. This locks out the legs and keeps you honest (and you will definitely feel it in the hamstrings!)