This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mastered wrist rocks - what's next?

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), April 13, 2015 · 15 Replies · 571 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Hi there,

 

I've just mastered wrist rocks (SE4 - 5x5)... I haven't mastered any of the other skills in H1.

 

What do I do next for this particular component?

 

Do I just stay on this exercise at 5x5 while I work on all the other components?

 

Thanks,

 

Cam

gbsj

Video?

 

What level are you at with the Wrist pushups, first knuckle push ups and the finger tip push ups?

Cole Dano

Just stay there and keep them as a regular part of your HS sessions.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

I can post a video if need be... Although this one seems pretty straightforward.

Wrist push ups I'm at SE1 (although I've done 5x5, SE2 is too much, so I'm slowly increasing the angle on this one)

First knuckle push ups, and fingertip push-ups, I have 5x5 for SE2, but find even one rep of SE3 very difficult with good form... Trying to work out a progression between the two.

Why do you ask?

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks Cole - will do!

Jon Douglas

For the sake of time efficiency I switched my wrist exercises to 1x10 as I mastered them :)

Bro'

And if you still have doubts, Coach once directly recommended doing what Jon does. So single set of 10 for maintenance.  :)

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

That's awesome info - thanks guys!

Wolf with one Ear

Having "mastered" the wrist series, I nevertheless perform all of it as a warm-up.  What I have done is to gradually eliminate periods of rest.   Right now I do three supersets of the four exercises, without rest.  When those supersets are done, I rest for a bit, then do two supersets of the wrist series without rest.  I am aiming to do the whole thing in one fell swoop.  However, when I had not mastered some of the exercises, but mastered others, I did supersets of the series, with 30 second rest intervals, keeping the mastered exercises at the prescribed number.  

Arpad Halasz
On 13/04/2015 at 0:14 PM, Jon Douglas said:

For the sake of time efficiency I switched my wrist exercises to 1x10 as I mastered them :)

I have the 4 wrists conditioning exercises on mastery since a few weeks and I've been doing 5x5 each workout so now can I only do a single set of 10 for each of them?

Oussama KHELLADI
1 hour ago, Arpad Halasz said:

I have the 4 wrists conditioning exercises on mastery since a few weeks and I've been doing 5x5 each workout so now can I only do a single set of 10 for each of them?

yes you can 

Jon Douglas

Yes :)

Just fyi I do recommend the wrist stretches in every workout; wrist strength before handstand work. Can be very useful before planche work too.

Oussama KHELLADI
1 minute ago, Jon Douglas said:

Yes :)

Just fyi I do recommend the wrist stretches in every workout; wrist strength before handstand work. Can be very useful before planche work too.

yes a lot especially the planche work 

Petri Widsten

For me they are a must before handstand, sPL/PE5 or HBP/PE3 work.

Andrew Long

I've heard of people building up to doing these in a handstand position and doing exaggerated slow Reps.    Anyone here think there is benefit in either of those?

Coach Sommer
7 hours ago, Andrew Long said:

I've heard of people building up to doing these in a handstand position and doing exaggerated slow Reps.    Anyone here think there is benefit in either of those?

Nope, no need at all.  

I already tested the wrist pushup variations in handstand with my own athletes years ago.  Performing them in a regular front support position with a slow as possible tempo proved to be more effective.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer