This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Supine flairs - sounds like femur is going to leave my hip

Started by Tobias Akeblom, April 12, 2015 · 11 Replies · 391 Views

Tobias Akeblom

When I am doing supine flairs I get a really annoying feeling in my right hip socket. When I am moving through the straddle position my right hip is giving away a high clunky sound. At the same time it feels like the head of the femur is running over a speed bump. It is not painful, just annoying and uncomfortable.

 

Anyone else with this sensation??

Alessandro Mainente

do you feel pain? I have the same situation but basically is my tooo tight  hip flexor that has some problem to move freely. how is you front split?

Tobias Akeblom

No direct pain, more like creepy feeling. Doesn't feel like it is from tightness. Feels like it is bone on bone. Front split is okay for beeing an 40 yo fart :)

Alessandro Mainente

can you post a photo where you show the exact point of the exercise where you are feeling pain?

Tobias Akeblom

Yes. Coming tomorrow. Now sleepy time.

Tobias Akeblom
alex87 said:

can you post a photo where you show the exact point of the exercise where you are feeling pain?

Having a hard time taking a photo since I am home with two small kids. But if you look att the supine flair video https://courses1.gymnasticbodies.com/mss-se25/ 

 

I feel this clunking in the same position as she is 5 seconds in the clip. Just before the right leg is done with the first part of its circle.

Cole Dano

This is a fairly common problem, can be due to tightness, deep hip muscle weakness or the combination of the two.

 

The series itself is very well balanced, particularly when combined with the Front Split course and you should find the problem to be self correcting over time.

 

The popping itself is harmless, but annoying. try to do the supine flairs with a bit more concentration and experiment with how you use your deep hip muscles to make the movement.

Tobias Akeblom

Thanks. If I really concentrate and use moderation in how wide I straddle I can do the flairs without clunking. But I have to reduce ROM quite a bit.

Alessandro Mainente

Cole anticipated me! well said!

laserator

I have the same problem. Nice to hear that it's not only me.

Is it the same with MN/PE1 for example?

 

It feels better if when i try to extend the leg as much as possible. Maybe some muscles more are activated when you do this.

Tobias Akeblom
laserator said:

I have the same problem. Nice to hear that it's not only me.

Is it the same with MN/PE1 for example?

 

It feels better if when i try to extend the leg as much as possible. Maybe some muscles more are activated when you do this.

Yes indeed. Almost exactly the same with MN/PE1. 

Coach Sommer

Simply keep the legs narrower until your hips adapt.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer